Urban Dictionary: Boston College Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Freshman year, I hated walking around campus hearing terms thrown around that I didn’t understand.  As a helpful resource to the Class of 2015 (and anyone else who has been living under a rock), here is the Urban Dictionary of Boston College vocabulary:

ALC: (1) On flyers around campus, ALC = AHANA Leadership Council; (2) In a text message, alc = alcohol

Alumni: Stadium where Superfans go to see Luke Kuechly tear up the field

Beirut: See beer pong

Camp Co.: City Convenience located next to the B line for last minute grocery shopping if you happen to learn how to cook

Co Ro: Shafted housing for sophomores – See Roncalli, Welch, Williams, and Loners

Comm Ave: Commonwealth Avenue and Mile 21 of the Boston Marathon; used in a sentence: “I was trying to take the Comm Ave bus to 2000, but I accidentally got on the Newton bus instead.”

Conte: Basketball court and hockey rink; if combined, makes IceJam and a throwback performance by Vanilla Ice

Frapps: Milkshakes at the Chocolate Bar with any homemade ice cream of your choice (Oreo frapp highly recommended)

Frips: The chips part of the “chips and a pickle” found only at Hillside

Fro-yo: Healthy alternative to ice cream without toppings, but let’s be real, who doesn’t get toppings? – See Temptations

Late night: Freshmen’s version of going out after pre-gaming in their doubles

Lower: THE dining hall on Lower campus filled with upperclassmen, which specializes in steak and cheeses and blazing bowls

Mac: Freshmen dining hall known to newbies as Carney or McElroy

Marathon Monday: Part of marathon weekend in April, where waking up at 6 am to darty is acceptable and encouraged to be fully amped to cheer on runners on mile 21

MA’s: Mainly BC student bar, with occasional appearances by James Franco or Bruins’ players, in Cleveland Circle with $1.75 Busch Light drafts and Family Feud style trivia night every Wednesday

Mods: Seniors only modular and “temporary” apartments from the 1970’s that throw down every weekend and every football game – See Darties, Lax bros, and Raging

Natty: Disgusting yet cheap brew that BC students settle for to play endless games of beer pong and slap a hoe; also known as Natural Light or the slightly classier version, Natural Ice

PEPs: Professor evaluations found at www.UGBC.org that give honest opinions on whether to take Rocks for Jocks or Structures of the Universe

Plex: Known to non-BC students as the Flynn Recreation Center (don’t call it this, people WILL NOT know what you are talking about)

Res Life: The people you will blame for all of your housing drama and love to hate for the creation of The Matrix

Ruby: (1) Senior housing if you don’t get a mod; (2) Cheap, plastic bottle vodka that comes in a variation of flavors, most noteably, raspberry, mango, citrus, cherry, and apple

St. E’s: Where you don’t want to be taken after a night of too much fun; also known as St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center

The Gate: Labeled as 110 St. Thomas More Road on campus maps; the newest junior and senior housing seen right when you enter campus (aka the Gate, duhh)

The Rat: Former bar under Lyons now converted into a dining hall; only place on campus where you can find soft pretzels and hot dogs

The Res: Large body of water at the edge of campus where BC students like to run, but avoid at night due to it’s sketchiness  

UGBC: Undergraduate Government of Boston College responsible for Fall and Spring Concerts and BC to Boston – see www.UGBC.org

Wicked: word heard multiple times while walking across campus; synonymous with very, super, and extremely; used in a sentence: “Road tripping to Notre Dame this year will be wicked fun.” – See Baahstonians

There you have it, freshmen.  A few words that will help you fit in with the crowd here at BC.  Use some of these when walking around campus and maybe, just maybe, people won’t think you’re a freshmen… until you use a tray at Mac.

Photo Sources:
www.urbandictionary.com

Melanie is a senior at Boston College. 
Katie Moran is a junior at Boston College, majoring in Communication. Originally from Seattle, she loves the East Coast but misses her rainy days and Starbucks coffees. On campus, Katie is involved with Sub Turri Yearbook, the Appalachia Volunteer Program, UGBC Women's Issues Team, Cura, and the Women's Resource Center Big Sister Program. She loves reading, watching "Friends," and exploring new places. She has a passion for creating and hopes to begin a career in marketing and advertising.