nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Dress for Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Looking to ace your in-person internship interview? Want to wow the hiring manager with your professionalism? Do you have absolutely no idea what on earth “business casual” means? The world of professional attire is one unto its own. Despite fashion being a wonderful creative outlet and the fact that a lot of what to wear is based on the industry in which one works, there are general guidelines that women should adhere to when dressing for an interview or a day on the job. The unemployment rate in October 2012 for women ages 20 and older was 7.2%. So, the competition in the job market alone should provide incentive to ace your interview and perform well at your job in every facet, including your attire. Approved by the renowned Bucknell University Career Development Center, the following are general rules and attire descriptions that every college-aged woman needs for the working world!

General Rules

• Make sure your clothing is not only appropriate, yet practical and comfortable for your work environment. Also be conscious that your clothes do not have the potential to be offensive or distracting to others.
  • Revealing, torn, dirty or frayed clothing is unacceptable in a work environment regardless of the office’s dress code.
  • Always overdress for the first day of work or your internships. Remember, it is always better to be overdressed than “that girl” who looks like a complete slob because she is underdressed.
  • Clean and presentable clothes are a must, so be sure that the clothes you wear to your job/internship/externship/career fair are wrinkle- and stain-free.

Attire for an Interview or Career Fair

The rule of thumb for dressing for an interview or a career fair is to always err on the conservative side. The employers or hiring manager(s) may be dressed less formally than you, but dressing more formally will lead them to be extremely impressed with your professionalism and overall presentation of yourself as a prospective employee.

• Women should wear business suits (or suit separates) or dresses with a sweater or blazer over top. Two-piece suits should be fitted, but not snug and should be either grey, dark grey, navy or black. If you choose to wear pants rather than a skirt, they should be hemmed so the cuff does not drag on the floor. If you opt for the skirt or dress route, make sure your skirt or dress is no more than 1-2 inches above the knee and covers your thighs when you sit down. Regardless of which you choose, your pants or skirt should match your blazer in color.   
  • Underneath your blazer, it is suggested to wear a tailored blouse or shell. Do not show too much cleavage or wear a shirt under your blazer that is too see-through. 
  • Makeup should be minimal and natural. Do not wear the smoky-eye or pinup-red lips to an interview; opt for neutral shades and a single coat of mascara. A fair amount of people are allergic to certain chemicals found in perfumes, so be sure that the scent of your perfume isn’t too overpowering. Remember, you’re beautiful just the way you are, and employers are turned off by potential female employees who smother their faces with make-up.
  • For shoes, choose a closed-toed pump in a color that matches your suit with a medium-height heel.
  • Have clean and trimmed fingernails. Chipped nail polish or bright-colored nail polish is an absolute faux-pas. If you choose to wear nail polish to an interview or career fair, wear a subtle color (ex. pale pink). 
  • Your hair should be well-kept and styled simply (either wear it down or pin half of it back with a barrette). Hats should not be worn during an interview or at a career fair.
  • Keep your jewelry choices simple and to a minimum. Do not wear statement pieces or clunky jewelry that have the potential to make noise whenever you move/breathe. Body piercings, aside from ear-piercings, should not be visible. Additionally, only wear one set of earrings even if you have multiple ear piercings. 
  • Make sure all tattoos are covered.
  • Bring a portfolio case or a nice larger bag to carry your resumes and other assorted documents. Do not bring a small purse. 
  • Do not chew gum, eat candy or reek of cigarette breath during an interview or at a career fair. Five minutes before your interview time or enter the career fair, pop a breath mint to ensure that you have clean breath (BUT make sure you finish the mint or spit it out before the interview/career fair). 

Business Casual Attire

Business casual is perhaps the most confusing attire for women since it is so vague. There are, however, overall stipulations women should follow if their work calls for business casual attire. 

• Follow the above guidelines concerning jewelry, nail polish, perfume and tattoos.
  • Pair tops or blouses (with or without a blazer or a sweater depending on the weather outside and the industry you are in) with slacks, pants, suit pants, skirts or suit skirts.  Conservative dresses are acceptable as well. 
  • In addition to heels, women can wear nice flats in business casual work environments

Formal Attire

Some work environments still call for employees to wear formal attire on a daily basis. Others require employees to dress in formal attire for certain occasions or if certain clients/people come into the office. 

• The standard for formal attire is a suit (whether it is skirted or a pants suit). Women should wear heels or flats.
  • Tasteful jewelry is permitted, but keep it to a minimum. 

So, whether you are interviewing or going in for your first day on the job, be sure to be conscious of your attire and overall appearance. For more visuals and ideas about professional attire, check out (and perhaps pin) Bucknell Career Development Center’s Pinterest page (http://pinterest.com/bucknellc…). And remember, in the words of Annie, “You’re never fully dressed without a smile!”   

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!