It’s Business Time!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Spring will soon be on its way, leaving most of us daydreaming about the brightly colored swimsuits we will soon be donning for our tropical spring break trips. However, there is another wardrobe necessity that mustn’t be overlooked: the interview outfit.

Yes, yes, it is that time where we will begin to trade in our backpacks for briefcases and our jeans for fashionable pantsuits. Whether you’re gunning for an incredible internship in New York this summer or heading into the real world and applying for jobs, choosing the right interview pieces can help you make a wonderful first impression.

But the interview outfit doesn’t have to be boring, not when there are so many ways to spice things up and still look professional. It’s all about pairing key basics such as a blazer or a pencil skirt with some more fun accents, say a polka-dotted blouse or a sherbet-colored button down. These bolder choices will still give you a professional edge while making you memorable compared to interviewees with less imaginative wardrobes. So, collegiettes, grab a pen and take some notes; before you know it, those aisles at the job fair will be your own business fashion runway.

The Suit

Though the suit has been around for centuries, the original women’s suits were actually riding outfits dating as far back as 1660. The skirted suit didn’t come into play until the first half of the 20th century. The pantsuit came about in 1964 courtesy of designer André Courrèges.

Today we’ve come far from the typical monochromatic palette. We can no do suits in daring colors such as a deep blue or pairing a soft grey suit with a fuchsia top. So, for example, if you’re going for a simple black or grey suit use your blouse as a way to show some color or texture with a ruffle. Another favorite is using the same color palette in different tones and textures to make your interview outfit look chic and sophisticated. Keep in mind, suits are usually more on the pricey side, but since they’re staples of any working woman’s wardrobe they’re a worthy investment.

Left: Banana Republic Taupe Lightweight Wool Blazer, $198
Right: Express Ultimate Double Wave Hourglass Jacket, $138

[pagebreak]
Desconstructed

Wearing a full suit to an interview was never carved in stone; rather, dressing for your interview is about looking professional and confident for the job. Don’t be afraid to be a little bolder with your wardrobe choices. What are the essentials of deconstructed business attire, you ask? Deconstructing is all about mixing and matching fabrics and textures as well as colors. Blazers, cardigans, longer skirts to the knee, dress pants, even jackets that have a sophisticated cut make the list. And don’t forget that jewelry and shoes can add a little extra “umph!”

What better way to make more use of your suit than to deconstruct it and pair it with other pieces? To create a unique look, take your blazer jacket and pair it with some tweed pants and a colorful shirt. Your skirt can go great with a different jacket or cardigan. Think about adding a fun silk scarf to complete your look.

Let’s take a look, shall we?

This is the perfect example of mix and match. Be bold.
(http://www.thebyandby.com/2011/06/interview-chic-101/)

Even Serena van der Woodsen can teach us a thing or two about interview chic. If she wore a dress that was little longer (to the knee) this look would be good to go.

Say yes to color. Again, longer skirt or some tights would make this more appropriate. Don’t forget your shoes are a great way to vamp things up!
Refinery 29

Lauren Mobertz studies Professional Writing and Hispanic Studies at Carnegie Mellon University, and will graduate in May 2012. To fuel her interest in urban studies, Lauren interned at Oakland Planning and Development Corporation in fall 2010. Since she received her passport, Lauren has not spent more than 7 consecutive months in the US. She spent spring 2011 in Santiago, Chile, translating documents for Educación 2020 and practicing her salsa; summer 2010 in Durban, South Africa, studying the social and economic impacts of the FIFA World Cup and volunteering for WhizzKids United; and spring break 2010 hosting art workshops in Siuna, Nicaragua. Somehow, she always manages to keep up with How I Met Your Mother and a little bit of running, no matter what city she's based in. Lauren hopes to settle down in the East Coast and enter education administration.