10 Things To Do in Exeter When it’s Raining

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Now that the rainy season is upon us, HCX thought we’d attempt to brighten up the miserable days with 10 great rainy day activities – why not give them a go next time it starts to pour?!

1. Head down to the Picture House

It’s definitely worth braving the weather to get there, with so many new films coming out the Picture House is the perfect place to catch them all. With more style and comfort than The Vue and Odeon, it also boasts a café area that offers pizza and alcoholic beverages. Get a student membership for £10, which gives you two free screenings and 10% of all food and drink! 

2. Perfect your painting skills

Recreate those childhood parties of pottery painting and get down to MakeArt.  Excellent if you want to do something while you have your coffee or girly catch up, choose your item, pick up a paintbrush and let the creativity flow. 

3. Snuggle up in Boston Tea Party

Grab an armchair and settle down to catch up on that reading you’ve been meaning to do – work never seems so bad when you’re in a bustling café (and there’s a GREAT selection of cakes for when times get really tough!)

4. Go to the Gym

If you can’t run outside settle for the gym, put the New Zealand landscape running video on and you’ll feel like you’re a world away from the miserable weather here!

5. Board Games galore

Whether you’ve got a stack in your living room already or want to head to The Rusty Bike, what better way to while away a rainy afternoon than with an overly competitive game of Monopoly.

[pagebreak]

6. Online Shopping

You may not want to venture outside, but it shouldn’t stop you from shopping! ASOS can provide hours of pleasure, and all from the comfort of your bed. HCX tip: to avoid postage costs just order over £100 (shouldn’t be hard!!) and then return (for free) what you don’t want/cant afford.

7. Dust off your baking skills

Make up a batch of brownies or cupcakes and you’ll quickly become the favourite housemate. 

8. Make a fort and have a feast

Blankets, pillows, duvets, fairy lightsand drying racks can all be put to excellent use when creating a fort. Absolutely perfect for a hangover day too! Raid the cupboards and have a feast, tucked away in your fort you’ll forget the essay stress and the raging hangover. 

9. Find your inner child and jump in the puddles!

EMBRACE THE RAIN. Get your wellies and raincoats and find the biggest puddle you can, and only duck for cover when you’re soaked through.

10. Have the girls round and just CHILL

Watch a movie, have a gossip, practise some new nail art designs, stuff your faces, feel guilty about not going to the gym, complain about lack of money… just do it together! 

Picture Credits: Pinterest, The Guardian, The PictureHouse