5-Day Morning After Pill – Encouraging Promiscuity?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

A contraceptive pill that can be taken up to 5 days after sex (called ellaOne) has been hitting the headlines recently as it is now available to buy over the counter, without prescription, from certain pharmacies. This has caused much controversy as critics claim it will lead to an increase in casual sex and the spread of STIs. As long as you are over 16 and answer some basic health questions you may purchase the pill without the need for awkward conversations with your GP, it can be done quickly and without much of the stress that may come with a visit to your local clinic. But is this move liberating for women or not?

The Daily Mail pulled no punches when giving their opinion on the move, with the headline “The promiscuity pill: £30 morning-after tablet that can be taken five days later ‘will lead to unsafe sex’”. One of the ways the pill works is by stopping the implantation of an already fertilised egg, which means pro-life campaigners are calling it a form of early abortion (though medically this is most certainly not the case). Other critics claim it will encourage a more casual attitude to the dangers of unprotected sex and act as a perceived safety net, and therefore actually increase unplanned pregnancy rates as well as STIs.

However despite the uproar this pill is really nothing very new, the alternative morning after pill Levonelle can already be purchased over the counter (although it can be taken only two days after sex) and the IUD (intra-uterine device also known as a coil) can be effectively fitted by a doctor up to five days after. The pill will alter hormone levels which will help prevent pregnancy in various ways and it is important to note that none of these medically count as abortion, even at the later stages of the 5-day time limit. As with similar contraception there can be side-effects including nausea, tiredness and general aches and pains and it should not be used if you suffer from asthma, but generally it is considered medically safe.

The key thing to remember is that emergency contraception is not meant to be a regular contraceptive measure as it does not reduce the risk of contracting an STI, but everyone knows that sometimes accidents happen and you can get caught out. Jane Devenish, clinical service pharmacist for Co-Operative pharmacies (who will be selling the pill) put it perfectly when talking about the decision “It is not our place to make a judgement on people’s motives or lifestyles and there can be numerous reasons for seeking medical help.” Only you know what’s right for you, and nobody should be able to judge you for it.

Photo credits: parentdish.co.uk, nhs.co.uk

Alice Calder is in her fourth year studying Philosophy, Politics and Economics at the University of Exeter. She spent her third year studying abroad at the University of Southern Mississippi where she fell in love with all things Deep South. After interning in Washington DC for the summer Alice's love of politics grew and developed into her career ambition. Aside from politics she likes music, exploring the great outdoors, and enjoying food in every possible form. 
Georgie Hazell is a final year Anthropology and International Politics student at the University of Exeter, UK. Georgie became involved with Her Campus during her semester studying abroad at the College of William & Mary, along with Rocket (the campus fashion magazine), Trendspotters (the campus fashion TV show) and Tri Delta sorority. She hopes to pursue a career in media or marketing in the future. Georgie has a passion for travel and experiencing new cultures, and spent five months travelling the world on her Gap Year.