Share Your Secrets: FSU And The Whisper App

Features of Whisper:

Whisper is a free app designed to allow people from all over the world to share their secrets anonymously. Boasting over 6 million active users, the app was released only 2 years ago and has received over $24 million in funding! Most popular with the young adult population, Whisper has been called a “mash-up between Twitter and Snapchat,” giving people the opportunity to express and type their feelings onto a related picture. The idea of Whisper stems from the popular blog, Post Secret, where people have been sending in their own anonymous secrets to creator, Frank Warren, who chooses a selection of the secrets to be posted on the blog every Sunday. The immense success of Post Secret has spurred a secret revolution, with people wanting their voices to be heard over social media websites without having to identify themselves. The app also gives you the ability to see how far away the anonymous secret was posted from your location, allowing you to relate to people who may be closer than you think!

FSU and Whisper:

Florida State is one of many Universities across the nation that has joined the Whisper app bandwagon, creating its own page where anybody can view secrets posted from our very own students and possibly faculty! The FSU Whisper App Facebook page has received over 2,342 likes since it was launched and many people love the idea of being able to share their secrets anonymously within their own school community. However, with the huge success of the app also comes a vast amount of criticism. Startling accusations have been made against some University staff, faculty, and administrators, and were originally unable to be traced back to the source due to the app’s anonymity. While the anonymous aspect of Whisper is one of the main attractions for people to download and become an active user of the app, the fact that hurtful and sometimes illegal accusations were being made without being able to identify the source pointed out a major flaw in the system. The introduction of a tracking system on the Whisper app that allows Whisper to know who you are, but keep your identity hidden to any users of the app. Some secrets are relatable to most college students, such as “It seems like no girls at FSU like the nerdy type of guys” and “I adore my sisters but sometimes I hate that we’re not the ‘hot’ sorority.” However, some secrets posted on the FSU Whisper App present serious situations that should be addressed, “I am a TA. I’ve hooked up with three of my students this semester. None of them are getting A’s” and “I am an accounting professor. I make my best students do my taxes but make them think it’s homework.” With any social media app, the hype draws people in to participate but with some of these secrets being available to everyone in the FSU community, it raised the question of whether stricter regulations should be implemented on the app. Whisper now has the ability to send your personal information to the appropriate law enforcement offices, if any serious crimes or illegal activities are posted on the app. Overall, as college students we should always remember to be safe and responsible when using social media websites and apps!

Hollie Morey is a creative writing enthusiast, when she is not studying for her double major in communications and political science! In her free time, Hollie loves to curl up with a great novel or the latest edition of Glamour, as well as catch up on her favorite shows: Pretty Little Liars and Mad Men! Hollie has a particular interest in writing about fashion and local current events and can be found looking on Her Campus for great style tips or for ideas for things to do in Tallahassee!
Lauren Burkett is an alumna of Florida State University, where she studied Editing, Writing and Media.  Since graduating in 2014, she has worked in marketing, as a flight attendant and now works in the oil and gas industry.  She was the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus FSU during her time there, and is ecstatic to continue her involvement with the organization as a Chapter Advisor.  Lauren now lives in Denver, Colorado and enjoys being outside, reading and journaling in her free time.