15 Signs Your Sister Is Your Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Whether you originally wanted them or wanted a dog, most of us ended up with siblings instead of that coveted pet. If you’re really lucky though, you were given sisters (and a dog down the line). Your number one annoyance during the earlier years of your life quickly became your number one person to turn to. Whether you expected it or not, here are a few signs that your sister has become your best friend. 

1. Anytime you’re together, your diets go out the door

“I want churros, mozzarella sticks, tater tots, mozzarella sticks on a burger, cinnamon buns, and a milkshake.”

“I’ll get half, and you get half, then we can split”

2. You plan elaborate trips and constantly text them about it until it actually happens

“We both really want to go to New York, so when are we going to New York?”

3. You both instantly start dancing the second you hear an *NSYNC song

4. You never have to ask IF they want to go on a Sheetz run, only WHEN they want to go

5. They’ve seen you at your absolute worst (and often most unattractive) moments but still hang out with you

“I literally changed your nasty diaper…spill the beans.”

6. Nothing you say or do could surprise them

“Been there.”

7. You can give them a look, and they’ll instantly swoop in and save you from that aunt who asks way too many personal questions

“Hey, I lost my ankle bracelet. I’m going to need you to help me find it… over there.”

8. They’re the only people who really know how your parents will react to something

“Approach with caution”

9. They actually tell you the complete truth even when they know you don’t want to hear it

“Listen, I love you and I know it seems like the end of the world, but you’re being a bit irrational right now”

10. They’re ready to square up if someone hurts you

This is like friendship but to a whole new extreme – they will actually pounce

11. Have an internship out of town? They’ll let you stay with them for months on end

Having endless movie nights? Okay, no complaints

12. Phone calls with friends, you totally dread. When it comes to your sisters though…

“Two hours? Let’s go for a third”

13. Don’t have a friend to go to a concert with? They’re always down to be your plus one

14. If you get in a fight, they know the way back into your heart is through food

“Hey… um I brought you mozzarella sticks…please love me again”

15. They genuinely will do anything to help you succeed and chase after your dreams

So thanks for being the greatest friends we could have ever asked for. We love you more than you know.

Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.
Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.