This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

During the month of October, leaves change color, the weather becomes cooler, and it’s the perfect time to cozy up and catch up on all your favorite Halloween movies. There have been several Halloween movies made ranging from horror, to comedy, to animated. Today, I’ve provided some iconic movies for when this time of the year comes around! 

Monster House (2006)

Monster House is an animated movie that has the perfect mix of horror and comedy for children. When three teens discover something mysterious about their neighbor’s house, after more exploring, they discover the house has a living creature that means harm to others. With no one believing them and Halloween approaching, it is up to DJ, Chowder, and Jenny to destroy the house before trick-or-treating begins. 

Twitches (2005)

This classic Disney movie was iconic when I was growing up! Twitches is about twin sisters, separated as babies and adopted into different families who finally reconnect on their 21st birthday. Without knowing their past, and thinking they are just normal people, these twins use their powers (newly discovered) to save the world they were born in. With their birth mother still living in this other world, they work together to stop their kingdom from darkness. This magic filled movie may be a little cheesy, like all early 2000 Disney movies are, but it has great nostalgia which is always a nice feeling!

Casper (1995)

Many have probably seen the more recent Casper movies but this original tops them all! With it being a live action movie, with a mix of computer animation for the ghost, this supernatural comedy drama tells the original story of the ghost, Casper. The movie follows an afterlife therapist who moves him and his daughter into a mysterious mansion to get rid of all spirits there. While there, the daughter Kat discovers a friendly but lonely ghost named Casper who instantly forms a crush on Kat. This movie is an eventful ride through comedy and drama. 

The Haunted Mansion (2003)

As a Floridian who has been to Disney World several times, this iconic movie is also an Iconic ride at several Disney theme parks around the world. The Haunted Mansion follows a realtor who brings his family to a listing, not knowing the story behind the house. When having to stay the night, many mysterious supernatural things are discovered from the old mansion, including how his wife is connected to its haunted backstory.

Young Frankenstein (1974)

Many people know about the original Frankenstein movie made in 1931 (and other remakes), but have you ever seen the parody? Young Frankenstein is a comedy horror film that follows the infamous scientist, Dr. Victor Frankenstein’s grandson, Dr. Frederick Frankenstein, played by Gene Wilder. Dr. Frankenstein has just inherited the mansion once owned by his grandfather and tries to prove that his grandfather was not insane. Instead, he is inspired to be like his grandfather and cause trouble in the small Transylvanian town. This black and white movie still gives the old monster movie feeling with a little bit more comedy!

Taylor is a junior at Appalachian State University, majoring in Communications PR with a minor in Business. As a Florida native, she is still adjusting to the cold seasons of the Appalachia mountains. She enjoys anything from travel to sports to entertainment.