Culture > News

Why Chappell Roan Is Right About Gaza (and Voting)

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

The ongoing violence in Gaza is not just a political conflict; it is a humanitarian catastrophe. The systematic destruction of Palestinian lives, homes, and infrastructure calls for more than just momentary outrage—it calls for consistent, meaningful action. As we witness the disproportionate suffering of Palestinians, it becomes clear that what is happening is a genocide, and silence is complicity.

In this critical moment, pop artist Chappell Roan has used her platform to speak out against the violence, offering a bold stance in solidarity with the Palestinian people. Roan’s activism reminds us that artists, like citizens, have the power to challenge injustice, shape public opinion, and push for accountability. In her messages, Roan is not only drawing attention to the atrocities in Gaza but urging her followers to think critically and act.

Roan’s stance is significant because she has transcended the typical silence seen in the entertainment industry when it comes to geopolitical conflicts. She refuses to shy away from naming the issue: Palestinians are facing systematic oppression, and the world cannot continue turning a blind eye. By urging her audience to question mainstream narratives and dig deeper into the truth, Roan highlights the need for all of us to be active participants in the fight for justice.

But Roan’s call to action doesn’t stop at raising awareness—it extends to the political realm, where the most significant impact can be made: our vote. Many of us in democratic nations have the power to influence foreign policy decisions, especially when it comes to U.S. support for Israel. The United States has long been a key player in the conflict, providing military aid and political cover to Israel despite ongoing human rights abuses. This support is not inevitable—it reflects the policies of elected officials who respond to the demands of voters.

Roan’s activism, therefore, becomes a direct call for political engagement. It is not enough to show empathy through social media posts or fleeting gestures of solidarity. Real change happens in the voting booth, where we choose leaders who will shape foreign policy and determine the fate of millions of lives across the globe. Roan’s advocacy reminds us that, as voters, we have the power to push for leaders who prioritize peace, humanitarian aid, and accountability for war crimes.

This brings us to a crucial point: when we vote, we are not simply choosing candidates for domestic policy. We are electing people who will decide whether our country continues to support actions that perpetuate violence and genocide. Roan’s stance highlights the need to scrutinize where our politicians stand on international human rights issues, including the ongoing crisis in Gaza. Are they willing to challenge powerful alliances when those alliances fuel human suffering? Do they back policies that ensure accountability for governments committing atrocities? Or do they perpetuate a status quo that ignores Palestinian humanity?

Chappell Roan’s courage to speak out is a reminder that we, too, must be brave in our political engagement. Her advocacy challenges us to think critically about who we elect and how our leaders’ policies affect global human rights. As voters, we cannot afford to remain passive in the face of such immense suffering. Instead, we must demand that our governments stand up against oppression and violence, wherever it occurs.

Voting is not just a privilege; it is a responsibility. Roan has shown that by using our voices—whether through art, protest, or the ballot—we can push for a more just and humane world. Our votes matter, not only for domestic issues but for the millions of lives affected by the foreign policies our governments support. The tragedy in Gaza reminds us that silence and inaction allow violence to continue unchecked. By voting, we can demand a foreign policy that values all human lives equally and pushes for peace instead of endless conflict.

In embracing Chappell Roan’s message, we acknowledge that standing with Palestine and speaking out against genocide is not just a political stance—it is a moral imperative. We owe it to ourselves, to the world, and to the Palestinian people to use our vote wisely, demanding that our leaders pursue justice and humanity above all else.

Cami Flores

Augustana '25

I am such a simple person. everyday I wake up, think "no thanks" and then go right back to sleep.