10 Things I Hate About You Julia Stiles Heath Ledger
Touchstone Pictures
Style > Fashion

Better than Skechers and a Prada Backpack: 10 Things I Hate About You Style Inspo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

10 Things I Hate About You, directed by Gil Junger is widely regarded as one of the best rom-coms of all time. 

The story itself is a modern adaptation of William Shakespeare’s comedy The Taming of the Shrew, and tells the story of Cameron James trying to get with Bianca Stratford with the help of Patrick Verona, by enlisting Patrick to ask out Kat Statford, Bianca’s rebellious and angry older sister. The film was received well by critics, and has a massive cult following (including yours truly!). However, one aspect I don’t think people talk about enough is the style potential the movie has. 

It’s no secret that 90s fashion is back. Most people look to 90s shows such as Friends or Beverly Hills, 90210 for 90s fashion inspiration. My own mother (who was a teenager in the 90s) admits using these for her high school outfits. While these are good in their own right as 90s style inspiration, I think 10 Things has a fantastic selection of outfits to take inspo from. It has a diverse range of styles, colors, and silhouettes, and if you watch it, you are bound to find an outfit you like. Whether it be our main cast, supporting characters, or even background extras, there will be something for you. In this article, we will be focusing on four main characters of the story: Kat, Bianca, Patrick, and Cameron, and their style throughout the movie. Even if you’re not a more masculine dresser, odds are some of you out there have boyfriends in need of style revamp. Why not start dressing him as the lead of a 90s rom-com? So, without further ado, here is the style of the main cast of 10 Things I Hate About You!

Kat Stratford:

Kat Stratford, the “shrew” of the movie, has a cool girl, relaxed look about her. She doesn’t try too hard and that’s what makes her outfits so good. Kat’s outfits are pretty standard for the 90s, but they have an edge that sets her apart from the rest of the characters in the movie. She has a mostly cool color palette, wearing lots of blue, purple, green, and black. Her makeup is simple and minimal,with her hair usually pulled back or left all the way down. Kat’s edgy vibe comes out in full force with her accessories, especially her spider ring, double pierced ears, and chunky necklaces. 

My personal favorite outfit of hers is her outfit at the end of the movie, when she reads her poem to Patrick. The embroidered blouse and dark purple skirt, along with her braid, creates a look that is so 90s and so Kat. It’s the perfect outfit to end her movie in. However, if you’re looking for something more formal, her prom look is the way to go. A slicked-back curly updo, simple slip dress with a matching scarf, and pearls all make a simple, yet classy look that you can emulate for a formal event. Overall, Kat has a very laid-back yet fashionable look about her that is super easy to attain through second-hand shopping.

3tTd0ouqbFwzULZuBYHNNAgU92ZJe4MuMPnGUM0vs891dPGEXIrxaMjbVFZcAJHvOei6NJJZZtSqNgeMj2jHe5pjA Cpx7f60pSODw9q1itk48O3fVtfL XbNkWf NBhoZ9gOCYYO7snjvDJcNtORic

Bianca Stratford

Bianca Stratford is the unsung hero of this movie. Beating up Joey at prom is nothing short of icon behavior.  She may not be as rebellious as Kat, but she’s got her own fierceness. Bianca’s outfits throughout the movie are very sweet, with lots of floral patterns, pinks, reds, and whites. My favorite Bianca outfit is the cherry print sundress she wears in her first appearance. It’s a classically feminine, all-American look and really sets the tone for her character for the rest of the movie. 

Bianca’s style incorporates a lot of what people typically associate the “soft girl aesthetic” with. Any sort of floral dress with a cardigan, mary janes, and pearls, and you have got yourself a Bianca outfit. Her prom look is very 90s, and while I can’t say I love it, I do love the updo. 90s updos are something we absolutely need to bring back. Bianca has pretty short hair, and yet she can still find cute and stylish ways to do her hair (I appreciate this a little extra because I have short hair too). Bianca’s outfit is so timeless and trendy that you could walk into a clothes store and find something similar. I recommend Wild Fable (the Target teen brand) as a good place to go. You could also find a lot of this stuff secondhand, especially on sites like Depop or Poshmark. Bianca’s style is perfect if you’re looking for something soft and sweet.

4bAauy7 gv wzF7ekeyrQoawzeDf9iaoMnMBwYTw4LTddfEiherl 9SDBlPf7fgyFFHMO9DArxeeq 34sE4eMRaTuWPzcb5KkSccbzexTaxuSm2wcpR1l05FEaUN3aYu38HsXmHzGL2VuZznQ3QB kk

Patrick Verona

Patrick Verona is the only man to ever exist. They knew what they were doing by casting Heath Ledger in this role, and I don’t think anyone could have played Patrick other than him. Patrick is a known troublemaker around the school, so it’s only necessary his outfits reflect this edgy and mischievous air about him. He wears a lot of dark colors, such as navy, gray, and black, and is usually seen with a leather bracelet and silver ring. He also wears his “big dumb” combat boots. His style is effortlessly cool. 

My favorite Patrick outfit is his outfit from Bogey Lowenstein’s party. His maroon jacket and gray button-down fit his personality so well. He definitely gives heartthrob energy in this scene. His prom outfit is navy, very similar to Kat’s, which is cute since they never actually said they were going with each other. They complement each other so well in personality and in style. Patrick’s style is once again very easy to emulate. It’s a lot of classic pieces and strong silhouettes. With a little searching you’ll look just like our favorite rebel in no time!

8MiWxJB0qggbcnxzy6HwII7awNUq QRqay6A fe7pftUDoWXYLwHpi vQf0cYrXDOl W N0kFI8oODBVMy8ZfndMydN3McpYld K5x7LqTUOBO toTxJqCB oz7EzLnOrmaHDmaW9uga9PTtkdldg

Cameron James:

Cameron doesn’t get enough credit as a character. He can be a bit of a jerk, but he is still a sweet guy. Once again, no one but Joseph Gordon-Levitt could play Cameron. He has that sweet, boy next door energy about him that is so perfect for Cameron. As a Weezer fan myself, I stand by the fact that Cameron loves Weezer. Cameron has a very indie-boy style. Walk into a record store in this day and age and you will find someone who looks like him. 

My favorite Cameron outfit is the first scene, where he wears a dark green button down with a white pattern over a burnt orange t-shirt, and brown pants. It’s so Cameron and once again really sets up his character. He wears a lot of button down + t-shirt combos throughout the movie and I personally am a huge fan. His prom look is very standard, just a black tux and bow-tie, and it works so well for his character. Cameron’s style is probably one of the easiest to emulate I’d say. It never truly fell out of fashion, and going to the men’s section of Goodwill you will find his whole wardrobe.

G4j8yDE8wvYm1wZHrntncuP2WQQ7XnsC vVt BGJW ph I WeT2AFAEBP5wcqtS 0XX7B 90smB7hDcVvnP0xeBuOr2zFW8SXwgseime1z4gzpjmEdpZQuds9R3v9Y pblPJ Bps0VDZdnzr84dxo Y

I hope you enjoyed this little dive into the style of the characters of 10 Things I Hate About You. The 90s may be considered a “trend,” but these pieces have stayed relevant for years. Remember, it’s important to shop for quality, not quantity. Vintage and secondhand stores are the way to go for many of these outfits. Shop locally, shop sparingly, and most importantly, make it your own as well! Have fun mixing and matching to make an outfit that is perfectly you!

Ella Maxwell

Ball State '27

I love to read, write, and drink coffee. Currently a college freshman at Ball State studying English Ed! I like music, musical theater, and online shopping.