Life > Academics

How the Baylor University Writing Center Can Help You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

As both a writing consultant and a writer, I can personally vouch for how useful Baylor’s University Writing Center is. This is my third semester working at the center, so I’ve had the opportunity to collaborate with a variety of different writers working on a spectrum of writing projects. Since I know how helpful a writing appointment can be, I’ve also utilized the center as a writer working on my own assignments.

Because the end of the semester is nearing, and those due dates are looming in the near distance, I wanted to share with you how useful the UWC resources are. They can help you become a better writer…and hopefully, you’ll ace that end-of-term paper along the way!

What is the UWC?

Baylor’s University Writing Center is a free resource open to all Baylor students. Located on the second floor of Moody Library, we are available to help students work on writing assignments from any discipline and at any part of the writing process. You can even bring in personal writing like a personal statement, resume or creative writing project. We employ a mix of graduate and undergraduate students from numerous disciplines, and we have multilingual consultants as well.

We offer 50-minute one-on-one appointments beginning on the hour. If you’re unable to make it to the center, we also offer video conference calls in which you can meet synchronously with one of our consultants. If you aren’t in a hurry, you can schedule an asynchronous written feedback appointment and receive comments and feedback within 48 hours of your appointment time.

At the UWC, we are interested in having a conversation about your writing and shaping each session to work best for you.

Why should I visit?

Have you ever had trouble understanding a prompt? Ever wanted to just brainstorm topic ideas? Maybe you wanted to write a stronger thesis statement? Or just wanted someone to read through your final draft with you? Writing can often seem like a solitary task, but it definitely doesn’t have to be.

We know that writers come from a variety of different writing backgrounds and have unique needs based on the requirements of their assignment. At the UWC, we are here to help fulfill any writing needs you might have.

How can I visit?

We encourage writers to schedule appointments ahead of time through our website, but we do accept walk-ins based on availability. After creating an account using your Baylor email address, you can log on to our website to find an available slot that works for you. Available appointment times are indicated in white. If you don’t see any of these slots, we may be booked for that day. However, you can add your name to the waiting list to be notified of a cancellation.

To learn more about a consultant, you can click on their appointment slots and read their bios. This might help you decide what consultant could best meet your needs, but all of our tutors are pretty great.

When scheduling an appointment, you’ll be prompted to answer a couple of questions to help your consultant prepare for the meeting. Because written feedback appointments need to include both the assignment prompt and the draft of your writing for consultants to provide feedback on, the requirements of this section will vary depending on your appointment type.

For in-person appointments, we recommend that you print out two copies of your work and have your assignment prompt readily available. We do have a printer on the second floor of Moody if you want to print there!

If you ever have any questions, feel free to call us at 254-710-4849 or visit our website.

I might be a little biased, but I believe Baylor’s University Writing Center is a great resource for any Baylor student. As you’re working on your final writing projects, I encourage you to make an appointment!

I am a senior Professional Writing and Rhetoric major with minors in English and Women's and Gender Studies. I'm passionate about women's issues, sustainability, and equality.