2022 or 2014? How the Tumblr Girl Era is Making its Return

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

If you didn’t get the chance to live out your Tumblr girl dreams back in 2014, get excited. The era is making a comeback. The music scene is recreating the feel of 2014 and the iconic outfits are returning once again. Get out your flannels and doc martens and put on The 1975 because 2014 Tumblr era is back.

Let’s start with music. There are so many artists releasing albums/singles and touring that were also big names in 2013-2015.

Some popular albums that you’d probably be listening to in 2013-2015 if you were on Tumblr like I was:

• The 1975 – self titled (2013)
  • Arctic Monkeys – AM (2013)
  • Lana Del Rey – Ultraviolence (2014)
  • The Maine – Forever Halloween (2013) & American Candy (2015)
  • 5 Seconds Of Summer – self titled (2014)
  • Taylor Swift – 1989 (2014)
  • Pierce The Veil – Collide With The Sky (2012)
  • Paramore – self titled (2013)
  • The Neighbourhood – I Love You. (2013) & Wiped Out! (2015)
  • Melanie Martinez – Cry Baby (2015)
  • Halsey – BADLANDS (2015)

Most of these artists are doing big things this year as well. From touring to releasing albums to performing at both Reading and Leeds Festivals in England, these artists are on the move. Here are some of the big things our favorite 2014 Tumblr artists are doing this year:

Releasing Albums/Singles:

• The 1975- New Album “From Being Funny In A Foreign Language” releasing October 14th.
  • Arctic Monkeys – New Album “The Car” releasing October 21.
  • 5 Seconds Of Summer – New Album “5SOS5” releasing September 23.
  • Taylor Swift – New Album “Midnights” releasing October 21.
  • The Maine – New Single “Box In A Heart” Coming Soon.
  • Pierce The Veil – New Single “Pass The Nirvana” Out Now.

Rumored to be Releasing an Album/Single Soon:

• Paramore – rumored to be releasing a single sometime in September and surprise dropping an album soon after.
  • Lana Del Rey – rumored to be teasing a new album.

Touring:

• The 1975 – “At Their Very Best” Tour beginning November 3rd.
  • 5 Seconds Of Summer – 3/4 finished with their “Take My Hand” Tour, Australian Leg begins November 30th.
  • My Chemical Romance – Mid tour in North America currently .

Along with all of these, there were also a few artists from our favorite era that performed at Reading and Leeds Festivals. Those artists were:

• Halsey
  • The 1975
  • Arctic Monkeys
  • Bastille

Listen to some old hits from your favorite 2014 artists on my playlist linked below:)

Next up, we have the outfits. If you know anything at all about the 2014 Tumblr era, you know exactly what the style was at the time. The “indie sleaze” aesthetic was all about the messy makeup, dark lipstick (usually a shade of red or purple), jean jackets over top of flannels, ripped black tights under skater skirts, and (of course) a pair of doc martens boots. Add a choker and the perfect Tumblr girl outfit is complete. Recently, the hashtag “#indiesleazeaesthetic” has been trending on TikTok. People are once again loving the messy “grunge” style. Many creators on TikTok are posting indie sleaze makeup tutorials as well as fashion tips for the style. There are even professional trend predictors who are predicting that this era is on its way back into style. Personally, I’m excited for indie sleaze fashion to become popular again. I’ve loved the messy grunge look ever since I had my own 2014 Tumblr girl era.

They do say that trends resurface every 10 years… and we’re just about to hit the 10 year mark. So smear on some eyeliner, throw your hair into some space buns, and grab your chokers because the 2014 Tumblr girl era is coming back faster than ever.

Maddie Doss

Bowling Green '24

Maddie is a sophomore at Bowling Green State University pursuing a degree in Media Production and a minor in Music Industry. Their favorite artist is 5 Seconds Of Summer. She is also a Swiftie who loves thrifting, live music, astrology, and modern art. Maddie is very passionate about supporting her favorite artists. They are most inclined to write about gender and LGBTQ+ studies, music, astrology, social media, and mental health.