The “Open First” Box: My Secret For College Packing

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Picture this: I finally find my dorm room, my home for  the next 9 months of my life as a college freshman, only after the strenuous journey of battling for a parking spot, loading all of my stuff into a move-in cart (that took 30 minutes to find), and hauling it to my building. My family is dripping in sweat as we all struggle to walk around mounds of boxes that seem to overtake the tiny room and I have no idea where to start unpacking.

This is what my freshman move-in experience looked like, and I’ve come to find that a lot of my friends also had stressful experiences moving-in, on top of all of the challenges they faced simply to get to the dorm room. Wouldn’t it be great if all of that stress could disappear as soon as you opened that first box?

This is where the “Open First” Box comes in. Something my mom taught me to lessen the stress of moving to a new place, this secret for college packing could save you and your family a lot of time, energy, and anxiety. 

The “Open First” Box is one large moving box you should pack with the intention of opening as soon as you move into a new place. This includes all of the essentials to make unpacking the rest of your things easier, more comfortable, and a little bit more enjoyable. Keeping all of these things together will ensure a smoother day of moving. 

Here’s what it should include:

• A Box-Fan: Open your window and door and get a cross-breeze going
  • Scissors/Box-Cutter: Start opening those other boxes
  • Phone Charger: Charge your phone while you’re unpacking
  • Power Strip: You’ll need to connect at least a few lamps, fans, or chargers
  • Bluetooth Speaker: Play some tunes that everyone can enjoy while unpacking
  • Britta: Stay hydrated!
  • Granola Bars: Anyone else hungry after unpacking?

Pro-tip: The top piece of tape holding the box closed should be folded over itself on the end, creating a pulley, so that you can rip it open without needing scissors or a box-cutter!

This method saved me when I moved into the freshman dorms, and my mom swears by it for every moving adventure. The “Open First” Box isn’t just helpful for college dorm move-in’s, it can help you unpack for anything! Last year, I even made another “Open First” Box when moving into my first off-campus apartment, which I realized needed a few extra things.

Here’s what you should add if you’re moving to a new apartment:

• 2 Rolls of Toilet Paper: You’ll need them before you can get to the store
  • Disinfectant Wipes: Not every complex has a cleaning service
  • A Small Toolbox: Your ikea furniture isn’t going to build itself
  • Hand Soap + A Towel: A necessity after hours moving furniture

The essence of the “Open First” Box is to be prepared and plan ahead for every new place you move into, especially accounting for those certain objects that will help you ease into the uncertainty and stress of unfamiliarity. Each of these boxes are personal to you and your living situation, so take time to pack them thoughtfully and make this transition a little bit easier on yourself. Thanks to my mom and her brilliant packing skills, I know that with a little bit of planning ahead, moving doesn’t seem as stressful anymore.

Zoe Goldstein

Cal Poly '26

Zoe is a third year English major at California Polytechnic University- San Luis Obispo. Zoe is so excited to continue her role in her chapter of Her Campus, this year, as a writer and as an editor. She enjoys reading, writing, and listening to music on the daily, and likes to surf and go thrifting in her free time. Her interests and passions include environmentalism, literature, and social equality.