43 years without Alfred Hitchcock: A remarkable director with questionable actions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Casper Libero chapter.

Alfred Hitchcock, one of the most notable filmmakers of the 20th century, is revered for his genius in creating works that transcend genres and defy cinematic conventions. His ability to construct intricate narratives, full of suspense and unpredictable twists, has consecrated him as a master of the psychological thriller. However, behind his cinematic achievements, Hitchcock was also a controversial icon, often debated for his treatment of actresses, provocative approaches and daring themes. This duality between genius and controversy not only defines his extraordinary career, but also highlights the lasting impact his works and his personality have left on the film industry and popular culture. 

Creative minds find success on the big screen

Alfred Joseph Hitchcock was born in Leytonstone, London, in 1899, and was always a brilliant mind between the people around him. In his childhood years, he used to be in the spotlight not only for managing to speak foreign languages like Latin and French, but he was already gifted in the arts. 

However, his religious school days were not the best part of his life. The environment was too methodical for him, but his college years were like the light at the end of the tunnel. In the first, he studied engineering at the School of Engineering and Navigation, while studying drawing at the University of London. It was there that he discovered his hobby and future career – filmmaking. Since then, he has made remarkable movies on the big screen, showing a new way of suspense and thriller to the public. 

But what makes him so remarkable in the cinematic industry? 

Alfred is one of the biggest names in the cinematic industry, and even after his death his movies still are one of the most important in the histor. The director known for Psycho, Vertigo, North by Northwest and The Birds shows unforgettable characteristics when he is making thriller and suspense films. 

For Hitchcock, the most important thing in his movies is making the audience feel like they are inside the screen. The director works with a lot of camera moves simulating the gaze of his characters, to build even more realism and fear. The cinema critic Robin Wood spoke about the methods that Alfred used in his movies saying:

“The Hitchcock movies are an organism, manifesting every detail while connecting everything”.

Although his movies are considered a masterpiece in the cinematography, a lot of people don’t know him due the time that his films were released, but that does not make him any less famous. He still is a great inspiration to new directors studying cinema out there. 

The suspense behind the scenes

Despite Alfred Hitchcock’s remarkable work, his actions behind the scenes were questionable, which even led to the trauma of a famous actress. The artist suffered sexual assault and verbal harassment during recording.

His victim was Tippi Hedren, who worked with the director two times with The Birds (1963) and Marnie (1964). In own her book “Tippi: A Memoir” she affirmed numerous times that this type of sexual assaults happened to her. One of the times was at the The Birds set, when Alfred asked her to touch him. He was also obsessed with her to such an extent that he followed her around the set to control what she wore and ate, while making sexual propositions to her, making the actress extremely uncomfortable.

At the end of her second year working with him, while he was producing the film Marnie (1964), he got angry with her for not accepting his harassment and promised her that he would destroy her career. The director made good on his words, through a contract that would oblige her to reject any other roles she ever played again.

But Tippi didn’t hold back and denounced it in her book. The actress stresses that she made a point of teaching her daughter and granddaughter not to tolerate this kind of action in her workplace.

Despite the controversies surrounding his figure, Alfred Hitchcock’s importance in the world of cinema is indisputable and endures as a lasting legacy. His genius in creating complex and engaging narratives set new standards for the thriller genre, influencing generations of filmmakers and viewers. His films not only provided memorable entertainment, but also explored deep psychological themes, challenging the audience to question the nature of the human mind and its shadows. The controversies surrounding his conduct and performances on set also serve as a reminder that even artistic geniuses are not exempt from wrongdoing. It is crucial to recognize that his contribution to cinematic language and the way he shaped the viewer’s experience continue to inspire and enrich the world of cinema, solidifying his position as an enduring icon of the seventh art, but never forget the controversies that surrounded his career.

——————————————————————–

The article above was edited by Mariana do Patrocínio. 

Liked this type of content? Check out Her Campus Cásper Líbero home page for more!

Julia Tortoriello

Casper Libero '27

English Features Editor