Style > Beauty

The Beauty of Blackness: Celebrating Natural Hair in Every State

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CAU chapter.

Beauty is everywhere

Black is beautiful. It is a captivating sight in all its forms, shapes, and textures. One of the most stunning expressions of being Black is natural hair. From tightly coiled afros to luscious, flowing locks, Black hair symbolizes strength, resilience, and beauty.

Natural hair is not just a physical attribute; it’s a political statement. It’s a declaration of self-love, self-acceptance, and self-worth. When Black people embrace their natural hair, they reject the notion that external standards define their beauty. They say, “I am beautiful, just as I am.”

How we style our hair is a beautiful expression of our individuality and cultural heritage. When we see another Black person wearing their hair uniquely and authentically, it’s like a silent nod of approval and appreciation. We’re acknowledging the beauty and power of natural hair and its meaning to us. 

When we see a brother or sister rocking their Afro, dreadlocks, or braids, we respect them. It’s like saying, “I see you, I appreciate you, and I celebrate your beauty.” We’re recognizing the crown atop their head!

tara in heartstopper season 2
Samuel Dore/Netflix

In that moment, we connect on a deeper level, acknowledging the shared experience of being Black and beautiful. We honor the diversity of our hair textures and styles and the stories they tell about our history, culture, and identity. 

The versatility of Black hair is awe-inspiring. The styles are endless, from box braids to dreadlocks, twists to Bantu knots. And each one tells a story of creativity, culture, and tradition. Black hair is not just hair; it’s a canvas of artistry, reflecting our rich heritage.

As a Black woman, I’m changing my hairstyle from a curly afro to locs. This journey is essential because it’s about growth, learning, and loving myself. I’m committed to caring for my locs and understanding that it takes time, patience, and love.

I value this journey because it connects me to my roots and culture. Locs represent strength, resilience, and spirituality, and I’m proud to be part of this tradition. As my locs grow, I’m reminded of the beauty of Black hair and the importance of embracing our natural textures.

On this journey, I’m learning to love and care for myself and connect with others who share my experience. I’m celebrating my uniqueness and individuality and am excited to see where this journey takes me.

The beauty of Blackness goes beyond physical appearance. It’s a spirit, a soul, a way of being. It’s the laughter, the music, the dance, and the joy that comes from being unapologetically Black. The resilience has carried us through centuries of oppression, the strength that has lifted us above the noise.

In celebrating natural hair, we’re celebrating the beauty of Blackness. We’re celebrating our differences, our uniqueness, and our individuality. We’re saying, “I am Black, and I am beautiful, just as I am.”

Hello everyone, my name is Aa'Sokiyah Weaver, a young woman from Memphis, Tennessee, I embarked on a transformative journey after high school. Drawn to the vibrant city of Atlanta, Georgia, I enrolled at the prestigious Clark Atlanta University, driven by my passion for psychology and a desire to make a difference in people's lives. With a concentration in clinical psychology, I aspire to become a compassionate and insightful therapist, offering support and guidance to those in need. My talents don’t stop there. I am also a gifted poet, using my words to share my unique perspective and creative ideas with the world. Through my poetry, I aim to reflect and build upon the experiences of being a young black woman, providing a positive outlet for self-expression and fostering a sense of sisterhood. Being a part of the Her Campus community has been a rewarding experience for me. It has allowed me to connect with like-minded individuals and share my authentic voice. As I navigate through life, I strive to embrace my needs and desires, ensuring a fulfilling and purposeful existence. With my unwavering determination, creativity, and commitment to making a difference, I am determined to leave an indelible mark on the world. My journey is a testament to the power of self-discovery, resilience, and the pursuit of one's passions.