timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 New Artists to Start Listening To Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapman chapter.

As much as some of us may love the radio or our own little niche scenes, sometimes we need to get away and hear something new. Being on-the-go college students, it can be hard to find artists that grab our attention and don’t let it go. Whether your taste is indie, pop, or a little bit of punk, you’ll definitely find a new obsession in one of these up-and-comers.

1. With Confidence

Established in 2011, these Aussie pop-punk guys have been recently signed to Hopeless Records, alongside genre heavyweights like All Time Low and Neck Deep. They’ve released two independent EPs and are working on a full-length record. Learning the ropes from constant practice and touring with the likes of 5 Seconds of Summer, The Maine, and The Wonder Years, they are finally (!!!) making their way to the States this Summer on Vans Warped Tour. Their catchy, up-tempo choruses and sing along verses will have you hooked. Prepare to witness a massive takeover.

Listen To: Godzilla

2. Scott Helman

Here’s your new Canadian crush. His sweet, guitar-based songs and cinematic lyrics would be voted “Most Likely To Be Found in a Romantic Comedy” if such a category existed. He has an honest presence and has already been nominated for a few Juno Awards. He has a mini-LP, “Augusta”, and will hopefully come out with new music soon. Your heart will swoon at his big brown eyes and beautiful voice.

Listen To: Bungalow

3. FRANKIE

Already gaining celebrity fans, like Taylor Swift and Troye Sivan (who she opened for last October), FRANKIE is on her way to big things and making her single, “New Obsession”, a reality for her newest fans. She released an EP last fall, which could be seen as “quirky and instrumentally eclectic”, according to her website. Making the rounds in LA, she’s gaining traction and love from her fun attitude and lyrics. Let her get stuck in your head and see what she’s all about before she leads the revival for 70’s and 90’s inspired tunes.

Listen To: New Obsession

4. Before You Exit

In the nine years Before You Exit has existed, they’ve undergone a genre shift, lineup changes, and a victory lap through their teenage years. All of that did the band of brothers very good and created the sounds you hear from the boys today. They’ve toured with everyone from All Time Low to Allstar Weekend to The Vamps in the past six years, along with doing the majority of that independently up until last Summer when they signed to RCA Records. They’ve co-written with Fall Out Boy’s Patrick Stump and All Time Low’s Alex Gaskarth, as well as have a hand in everything they do creatively. The eldest, Connor McDonough, 22, produces and mixes their music, Riley McDonough, 20, edits and colors their videos, and Toby, 18, helps with lyrics and instrumentation. They’ve really mastered their craft, yet find ways to keep doing better with their energy, authenticity, and maturity, all while keeping each other grounded and working hard. Watch their hard work pay off when their newest EP, “All The Lights”, drops on April 8th and catch them on tour very soon.

Listen to: When I’m Gone

5. Waterparks

Direct from Houston is this absolute pleasant surprise of a band. Days before they opened for Good Charlotte’s LA comeback show, they were the guys slinging their ads in front of venues of other concerts. Last year, they got signed to Equal Vision Records and MDDN Management, which is run by Joel, Benji, and Josh Madden. Now, they’re quickly rising to the top of the scene with their newest EP, “Cluster”. Having just gone on tour with Never Shout Never and about to do the mini GC tour and Warped Tour, there will be many opportunities for you to check the quirky pop-punk trio live very very soon. If you like angry and a bit of funny (watch their video for Crave) in your music, this is your band.

Listen to: Mad All The Time

I hope you all find one artist in here that you’re pumped about. Let me know who it is and why! Remember to always keep you ears open, you’ll never know who you’ll find.