Books I Want to Read This Year

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

I LOVED to read when I was younger. There was nothing better than laying in my bed and entering a new world through a good book. As I grow older, I will make reading a priority in replacement for excess screen time. With that being said I compiled a list of books that have been recommended to me by strangers, loved ones, and friends that I would like to read this year. Here are a few:

1. “The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration In The Age of Colorblindness” by Michelle Alexander – I have read excerpts here and there in my past classes but I would love to read the entire book and expand my knowledge from what I already know.
  2. I’m Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness by Austin Channing Brown -This is a book I currently just bought on Amazon (like a couple of days ago) for a class book review assignment. This is a book I will keep even after reading it and I am glad I get to complete an assignment on this book. I have heard many great reviews.
  3. Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man by Emmanuel Acho -This is another book that was on the same recommendation list as I’m Still Here. I have watched one video on Youtube of his series and would love to read this book and see the various topics he chooses and the conversations that follow.
  4. A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara -A heavy one I have heard. I will try to read it this summer rather than the fall or winter. I am using these next two months to prepare for the tears…
  5. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens -I just acquired this book, it’s actually a funny story of how I got it but I will save that for another day. After reading We Were Liars, this was a book that came up in a similar book lineup. I loved We Were Liars!
  6. ‘Such a Fun Age’ Kiley Reid – This book, like Untamed, maybe because of the artistic covers, has been floating around social media and I would love to support not only Black-owned businesses but Black authors and their art.