Knitting at Colby

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

For some reason, knitting seems to have taken Colby’s campus by storm this year. Most people think that only little old ladies can knit, but in fact knitting is a life-long hobby that is rewarding, easy, and calming. Girls and guys alike are creating their own winter accessories, a creative way to re-invent your winter wardrobe, by knitting them. You can progress from less ambitious headbands and scarves to more advanced items like socks and sweaters. Everyone can knit and the supplies required are very reasonably priced at Wal-Mart.

Instead of buying those trendy circle scarves, why not make them? It is always rewarding to be complimented on your scarf and to say that you made it yourself! Knit items make great gifts too. So give it a try! Grab some needles, your favorite color yarn and teach yourself to knit. There are many great YouTube videos that explain every aspect of knitting very clearly and make it easy for a beginner to learn the basics. Colby also has a knitting club that offers needles, yarn and instruction. Knit-wear keeps you warm in the winter and can transition easily into spring ensembles as well. Go give it a try! 

Photo Credit: 

http://chicagofashionloser.blo…

Gillian graduated from The Winsor School in Boston, MA in 2012 and is now a member of the class of 2016 at Colby College.