Top 3 New, Most Popular Albums on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Colby chapter.

The Heist – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’ newest effort (The Heist) comes complete with catchy choruses, social commentary, and a range of intra-genre styles varying from morally relevant rap ballads to witty sarcastic jams. The wide spectrum of moods on the album will ensure listeners an appropriate song for most occasions from Saturday night to the subsequent recovery on Sunday. Furthermore the duo has managed to maintain a high and consistent level of execution over their spread of tracks. There are, however, a few songs that may come across as filler, or unnecessary. By and large Macklemore and Ryan Lewis have managed to produce an album that is taking the Colby campus by storm and for good reason.

Favorite Song: “Thrift Shop”
Thrift shop is far and away the most popular song on the album. It’s catchy, funny and will have you saying you’re “poppin tags.”

Alternate Favorite Song: “Same Love”
For those that are seeking a more “chill” track, same love should do the trick.

Red – Taylor Swift:
Genre: Country

Swift’s new album has received mixed reviews due to her more recent move away from country and towards more mainstream pop. Still, she is not the first artist to evolve her style over time, and her new songs add a needed degree of diversity to her otherwise uniform iTunes page. Swift’s songs have a decidedly more angry tone than her past hits, also developing a new twist. All in all, Swift’s new album is definitely worth checking out. While country fans may be disappointed in the catchier, less emotional lyrics, the album should have at least one or two songs for everyone.

Favorite Song: “I Knew You Were Trouble”
Admittedly, “I Knew You Were Trouble” doesn’t have the deepest of lyrics. However, Swift demonstrates her impressive and far-ranging vocal range while putting together both a well-crafted and catchy tune.

Babel – Mumford & Sons:
Genre: Alternative

In their highly anticipated new album, Mumford and Sons seems to have found success again. Most notably, the combination of a number of instruments builds tension and excitement, making for an interesting and dynamic set of songs. The band also does an especially good job at creating different and unexpected harmonies. Overall, Babel manages to build on Mumford’s past albums, without being too over the top.

Favorite Song: “I Will Wait
“I Will Wait” bares a resemblance to the band’s popular past songs, such as “Roll Away Your Stone,” while still maintaining an element of energy and freshness.

What are your favorites? 

Picture Source: 
http://refinedhype.com
http://justjared.com

Brett is a senior at Colby College. She is an international studies and anthropology double major, and spent her first semester of college in Dijon, France.  She enjoys writing, traveling, Gossip Girl, and Thai food. Already having interned at fashion designers and magazines, she is excited to contribute to Her Campus! She is also a certified personal trainer and loves working out.