A Super Fan’s Ranking Of The Harry Potter Book Series

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Growing up, the Harry Potter series was an integral part of my childhood. Every night before bed, my dad and I would read a chapter or two from the books, which continued through elementary school until I could read on my own. I remember anxiously awaiting  my acceptance letter into Hogwarts in the fifth grade, and subsequently bawling my eyes out when I never got it. Nevertheless, the Harry Potter series became very comforting for me. 

I’ve read the series seventeen times, one read through being backwards. I do an annual reread and watch in the winter, and have been to Harry Potter World in England. I’m certain I’ve taken every single Harry Potter quiz on the internet and played any game associated with the universe. Even as I write this  article I’m sporting my Hufflepuff socks. It’s safe to say that I’m a Harry Potter super fan, and although the movies are great, the books will always hold the most special place in my heart. Without further delay, here’s my expert ranking of all seven books.

7. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I want to begin by saying  I don’t believe any of the books deserve the last spot, but as I am ranking them, one of them had to go here. The Deathly Hallows is last as, sadly, many of my favorite characters were killed off. I do cherish this book because everything culminated in a  full circle moment and I felt nothing was left unfinished—which is what I end up feeling for other series. This book is by far the most stressful, another reason why it got last place.

6. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

The Chamber of Secrets isn’t higher since it is shorter than the other ones, and ultimately  less content from it. Also, my favorite character is Hermione, and she’s in this book less, so that plays into it. This book is extremely comforting though, and always makes me smile. 

5. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

The only reason this book isn’t ranked first is because it’s the one I’ve read the most times. Everytime I start the series but don’t end up finishing it, I only get through the first book. I can probably recite the entire first chapter by memory because of how many times I’ve read it. It’s the most heart-warming, filled with happiness, and the perfect start to this magical book series. 

4. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

The Order of the Phoenix is the most emotional book, in my opinion. I get overwhelmingly sad reading it because everything is changing for Harry, and he doesn’t understand why. I also like the romance incorporated into this book as everyone has aged. I didn’t rank this one higher because of a certain death that takes place at the end of the book that truly broke my heart, but I loved learning about the older characters’ backstories.

Harry Potter World Hogwarts
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

3. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

The Half Blood Prince is so cool to read because we finally get to learn about Voldemort’s backstory. Hearing a story from the villain’s point of view is an engaging perspective, so this book is extremely entertaining to read because readers get to see why Voldemort is the way that he is. In addition to this, there is even  more romance in this book, and the build up is finally worth it. Also, the twist at the end of this book is the reason why I love plot twists so much, and I will never forget the way I felt when it was revealed. 

2. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

I think that Prisoner of Azkaban also has an amazing twist. I enjoy mystery novels, and this book feels more like one to me than any of the others. It also introduces us to more of the essential characters that are in the rest of the story. There are many comforting moments in this book that make me wish I could attend Hogwarts and be best friends with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. 

1. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

I adore this book the most because the tournament is so exciting and there are numerous riddles the reader figures out alongside Harry. I also think this book is where the plot intensifies because Voldemort fully returns, but this turning point is what makes me enjoy it so much, because it’s a perfect mix between the vibe of the first three and last three books.

Every one of my Harry Potter books are extremely torn up because of how many times I’ve read them, hurriedly taped up to prevent them falling apart.  Any time I’m in a reading slump, reading the series gets me back into it as I re-experience their magic. I have the Harry Potter series to thank for my love for reading, as well as for getting me through so many tough times.

Noa Marder

CU Boulder '25

Noa is a senior Psychology major at the University of Colorado Boulder. She is a new member of Her Campus and is so excited to write about a range of topics, including mental health, pop culture, and lifestyle. Noa is originally from Denver, Colorado and moved to Boulder for college. She is currently working as a barista at Fen's Cafe on campus and loves making fun and delicious drinks. Outside of school and work, Noa loves traveling, reading, watching movies, and spending time with her family and friends. She traveled abroad to Florence in 2023 and had one of the best experiences of her life learning about the culture and history there. Noa is currently reading the last book in the Bridgerton series, and is excited to begin reading the ACOTAR series! Her favorite book series of all time is Harry Potter, she has read all of the books at least 15 times. Her favorite movie is Coraline and she absolutely loves animation and claymation.