This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

For anyone with tattoos, you may be used to the question “What is the meaning behind that one?”. This can be a frustrating question because sometimes the answer is “Because I thought it was cool”. Following this, the questioner might judge you and not understand why you would put something permanent on your body that doesn’t hold a profound meaning. This stigma is challenging to navigate when deciding what tattoo to get next. 

Tattoos needing a meaning is purely an opinion. The idea of something being permanently on your body can be very intimidating even with the option of tattoo removal (which is only available to wealthy individuals). Because of the permanency of getting a tattoo, only your opinion should matter, but because of the state of our society, this can be a hard idea to grasp. Even though times may be better than before, that doesn’t mean change still doesn’t need to happen. The judgmentalness of our world is a factor when making decisions, but in the case of tattoos, you need to isolate your opinion away from everyone else’s, even though this is easier said than done. 

Another concept to think about is that tattoos are art and getting them is a way of collecting art. The reason for this art form and the desire for it is unique to each individual, similar to how different artists’ painting styles may vary.

Along with tattoos being art, they are also a form of self-expression. Markings on someone’s body can showcase their personality, interests, beliefs, and/or passions. Personally,  I have a tattoo that is a passport stamp which is special to me because I love to travel and I studied abroad. Similarly, the reason behind a tattoo could be for the visual appeal; some designs fit people’s aesthetic. 

There are also cosmetic desires that can be achieved through tattooing. This could be something like tattooing your lips so it looks like you always have lipstick on. Or an individual could get a design that enhances an area they may dislike or like on their bodies. Someone may enjoy the way their shoulders look so they get designs that accentuate that area. There may also be insecurities like scars that people will get covered up by beautiful pieces of art to turn a negative into a positive.  

Tattoos also have the ability to build meaning over time. The symbol or design doesn’t have to have an exact meaning in order for it to be significant to you. As a person continues on through their personal experience it could be that the random flower they got one wild night in college represents their adventurous side and reminds them of their college-aged selves. 

While tattoos can simply be for aesthetic reasons, it can also be very special to have a meaning behind a tattoo. This article is not about whether or not tattoos should have meaning; it should ultimately be up to the person receiving the permanent ink to decide. I have tattoos that almost everyone in my family also has. I also have a tattoo of a star that just looked cute. Tattoos can be fun, interesting, spontaneous, planned, matching, dark, colorful, and everything in between. 

Lily McPherson

CU Boulder '24

Lily is a new member here at HCCU! She has joined the team as a writer as well as a social media team member this Fall. Her role is to help oversee the socials as well as create content. Lily is a senior at the University of Colorado Boulder. She is majoring in Sociology with a minor in Women and Gender Studies and a certificate in Social Innovation. Lily is also a part of Phi Alpha Delta which is the pre-law fraternity at CU. She also volunteers for the CU Restorative Justice program as a community representative. Lastly, Lily is one of the team managers for the CU Women's Basketball Team. Lily loves to consume anything pop culture. Whether it be films, books, music, or even TikTok. She is currently reading the first Percy Jackson book "The Lighting Thief”. Lily’s favorite film is the 2019 version of “Little Women”. She also loves to spend time with her family who all live back in the Midwest as well as her dog M&M! Lily spends any time outside of academics spending time with her friends whether it be playing basketball at the rec, hammocking in the mountains, or participating in game night.