This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Have you ever realized you’re feeling overwhelmed by the sheer amount of responsibilities you’ve taken on as a college student? I know I have. As a freshman, I unknowingly set myself up for failure by overloading my schedule with the maximum amount of 19 credits, chasing internships, and striving to build “the perfect résumé.” The pressure nowadays is inescapable, and the weight of everything can easily lead to a burnout.

It’s tempting to believe that signing up for every opportunity in your path, taking every challenging course, and signing up for each enticing extracurricular will set you up for future success. And maybe it will…eventually. But the reality is, trying to juggle everything without allowing yourself to adapt to a new environment can easily backfire. You might tell yourself that it’s worth the stress and will pay off eventually. But, in truth, this lifestyle is a fast track to mental exhaustion and an academic burnout. Piling on too much too soon is the equivalent of trying to run a marathon before you’ve  learned how to jog.

One thing I’ve learned the hard way is that the college environment is a different world from high school; the level of independence, academic demands, and the social dynamics hit you at once and nothing slows down for you. It’s easy to fall into the trap of believing that you can handle everything, like you did before. However, if you don’t give yourself the space you need to adjust, you’ll end up drowning in the very responsibilities you thought would boost your future, and you might end up faced with failure.

A misconception many of us possess is that doing more leads to success. In reality, it leads to half-hearted work, procrastination, and an inevitable burnout- just like Rory Gilmore in Gilmore Girls. Rory was THE model student: ambitious, driven, and seemingly perfect, and she constantly acquired internships, prestigious opportunities, and maintained a flawless academic record. But the pressure eventually caught up with her. After taking on too much and losing sight of her personal goals, she spiraled into a burnout; dropping out of Yale, losing her sense of direction, and struggling to regain her academic rhythm. Rory’s experience demonstrates that even the most focused and hard-working students can still crumble under the weight of unrealistic expectations and pressure. College isn’t just about accumulating as many achievements as possible; it’s about growth in all spheres: social, educational, and personal.When you overwork yourself from day one, you miss out on the chance to fully experience what college has to offer, and like Rory, you risk losing your way.

Alexis Bledel and Lauren Graham in gilmore girls
Saeed Adyani/Netflix

I’m not saying you should slack off or avoid challenges— but it’s important to pace yourself, recognize your limits, and allow yourself room to breathe and grow (like a plant). Success doesn’t come from a perfect résumé. It comes from time management, taking care of yourself, and making the most out of the opportunities that matter to you.

So, if you want to fail at college, relentlessly push yourself beyond your comfort-zone and avoid taking breaks. But, if you are striving to succeed and make the most out of your tuition and time, remember that it’s okay to slow down and re-evaluate your priorities, and ultimately, to find balance.

Paige Javor

CU Boulder '28

Paige Javor is a staff writer at the Her Campus Chapter at the University of Colorado at Boulder. As she joined in September 2024, her duties include researching and writing articles and features to be published. At the University of Colorado at Boulder, she is a freshman double majoring in Political Science and English with an additional minor in International affairs as she is on a pre-law track. She began her professional writing career this year as she has past experience writing in advanced placement classes in highschool. She was very involved at her high school’s Make-a-Wish club as she served a role on the executive board helping organize fundraisers to raise over $10,000 a year for a specific wish family. Paige is also a part of Alpha Chi Omega, a sorority of Greek life in which she is very passionate about their philanthropy. Paige is involved in Phi Alpha Delta which is the pre-law fraternity as well as many other organizations on campus. Outside of school, Paige is a relentless shopper (both online and in-person) and a big foodie. She also indulges in binge-watching movies and shows. She is always almost found with at least one earbud in her ear as she listens to almost every type of music genre. She loves going on adventures with her friends as they span from going on a day long trip, or even just going to the grocery store. She as well loves spending time with her parents and texting them throughout the day to give random life updates or just to say hi.