Career > Money

Budget-Friendly Puppy Care

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Having any type of pet isn’t cheap nowadays, with the prices of everything. However, there are ways to provide quality care for your puppy without breaking the bank. By looking into low-cost options for food, grooming, and veterinary care, you can keep your pet healthy and happy without going broke. I have found ways to keep it comfortable enough that I don’t have to work two jobs or be door-dashing around town at night. One option is to explore online resources for discounts and coupons on pet supplies. Another way to save money on puppy care is to consider purchasing items in bulk or looking for gently used items at thrift stores or online marketplaces. By being resourceful and proactive, you can ensure your puppy receives the care it needs without overspending.

We all know that puppies are capable of going through a lot of things while also breaking them. It’s important to invest in durable and quality products that can withstand the wear and tear of a playful puppy. I have found with my pup, who has gone through five dog beds in her three months of life, that giving her an old, clean pillow is fine since I don’t care about them, and if she breaks them, I wouldn’t mind throwing them out. This way, I can save money on constantly replacing expensive dog beds. Additionally, providing appropriate toys and activities can help redirect your puppy’s energy and prevent destructive behavior. By providing a variety of chew toys and engaging activities, you can help satisfy your puppy’s natural instincts and prevent them from destroying household items. It’s also important to supervise your puppy closely and correct any destructive behavior in a calm and consistent manner.

I know it is almost summertime, and with that, it is going to get hot and dogs are going to get warm, and my favorite thing in the world is Greek yogurt treats with peanut butter and bananas mixed together, put into the freezer, placed into molds, and giving them as treats. Not only will these frozen treats help keep your puppy cool during the hot summer months, but they also provide a tasty and healthy snack option. Remember to always monitor your puppy when giving them frozen treats to prevent any potential choking hazards. Additionally, frozen treats can also help soothe teething puppies and provide relief for their sore gums. It’s important to choose ingredients that are safe for dogs, such as plain Greek yogurt and natural peanut butter without xylitol. When making frozen treats for your puppy, it’s best to avoid ingredients that can be harmful to dogs, such as chocolate, grapes, and raisins. You can get creative with the flavors by adding different fruits or vegetables that are safe for dogs, like blueberries or carrots. Experiment with different recipes to find out what your puppy enjoys the most, and always consult with your veterinarian if you have any concerns about the ingredients you are using. Making homemade frozen treats for your puppy can be a fun and rewarding way to keep them cool and happy during the summer months. Just be sure to freeze the treats in appropriate portion sizes for your puppy’s size and avoid adding any sweeteners or artificial ingredients. Remember to supervise your puppy while they enjoy their frozen treat to prevent any choking hazards.

Sadly, the one thing I can’t save money on for you is vet visits. You do need to take your animals to the vet’s office to keep up with their shots and checkups. Regular veterinary visits are essential for your puppy’s health and well-being, as they ensure that your puppy is up-to-date on vaccinations and receives necessary check-ups. Investing in preventative care now can save you money in the long run by avoiding costly treatments for preventable illnesses. Additionally, regular veterinary visits can help detect any potential health issues early on, allowing for prompt treatment and better outcomes. It is important to prioritize your puppy’s health by scheduling routine check-ups with a trusted veterinarian.

Hi am Lauren I am from Poulsbo WA, I am a junior this year majoring in social services and minoring in Law and Justice. I work a full time job at Central Washington Disability Resources helping people who self identify with a disability find housing or get on social security disability or even apply for food stamps. I enjoy writing topics about people with disabilities and laws around woman’s rights.