This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North East chapter.

Choosing a major can be an overwhelming decision for many college students. With so many options to choose from, it can be challenging to determine which path is the right one. However, one of the most important factors in making this decision is finding your passion. Discovering what truly drives and motivates you can lead to a fulfilling and successful college experience, both academically and personally. In this article, we’ll provide some tips on how to find your passion and choose the right major.

Self-reflection

The first step in finding your passion is to reflect on your interests, hobbies, and values. What activities do you enjoy doing in your free time? What are you passionate about? What are your values, and how do they align with your future career goals? Answering these questions can help you identify your strengths and weaknesses, as well as your personality traits. Knowing yourself can help you make a better decision about what major is right for you.

Research

Once you have a good understanding of yourself, it’s time to research different majors and career paths that align with your interests and values. Look for programs that offer courses in your areas of interest and talk to current students or alumni to gain insight into the program’s strengths and weaknesses. Attend career fairs and networking events to learn more about various career paths and talk to professionals in those fields.

Try different things

Trying out different activities, clubs, and internships can also help you discover your passion. Participate in clubs and organizations related to your interests and see if you enjoy the work they do. Take on internships in fields that interest you and see if you like the day-to-day tasks. Trying out different things can help you gain a better understanding of what you want to do and what you don’t want to do.

Talk to advisors and mentors

Your college advisors and mentors can also be valuable resources in helping you find your passion. They can provide guidance on course selection, career options, and connecting you with professionals in your field of interest. Make use of their expertise and take advantage of the resources they provide.

Be open-minded

Finally, be open-minded and willing to explore new things. Sometimes, our passion may lie in something we never considered before. Don’t be afraid to take a class or participate in an activity that may seem outside of your comfort zone. You may discover a new interest that you never knew you had.

In conclusion, finding your passion is a crucial step in choosing the right major. It takes time and effort, but by following these tips, you can identify what motivates and drives you, and ultimately find a major that aligns with your interests and values. Remember, college is a time of exploration and self-discovery, and choosing the right major can set you on the path towards a fulfilling and successful career.

Leena Joshi is a social entrepreneur, climate advocate and author. She is the founder and executive director of Climate Conservancy, a youth-led climate nonprofit, with 9000 volunteers in 60+ countries. She has sat on boards and advisory councils for various organizations. She has been a member at Harvard Business Review Ascend Select and has provided insights to editorial, marketing and product teams of HBR and has contributed to research projects by HBR. Leena's work has been featured by World Bank Group, United Nations Climate Change, United Nations Foundation, Climate Reality Project, Her Campus Media, Feminist and Lady Gaga's Born This Way Foundation. She was previously a Member at Global Leadership Challenge at Oxford University. She has been an Ambassador for organizations including World Bank Group, Greenpeace USA, 4ocean and Plastic Pollution Coalition. Leena is a prolific public speaker who has spoken at universities across the world including Harvard, Oxford and Cambridge. She has authored books including 'The Climate Awakening' and 'Ethereal' and writes poetry about social impact.