Life > Experiences

2021: The Tough Break I Didn’t Know I Needed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

The last two years have been daunting, to say the least. The whole world took an unexpected turn when an unforeseen pandemic struck the planet and compelled the entire cosmos to come to a halt. 

As the world got hit by Covid in 2020, people started scrambling, looking for ways to fight the disease and keep going on, regardless of the circumstances.

The news of vaccines and a reduced number of cases at the end of 2020 made it look like the pandemic was near its end, while the onset of 2021 brought along new hopes and tons of joy.  

However, the ‘lucky year’ soon took a catastrophic turn, making it evident that 2021 was not the end of our misery but the initiation of a wave much more fatal.

People lost their jobs, mental health issues became even more prominent, deaths increased exponentially, countless families got destroyed and the oxygen crisis in many parts of India including its capital had people gasping for air.

2021 truly touched upon our deepest fears and showed us what it would be like to live them in reality. 

And like many others, I was too made to live my worst nightmare. 

I would say that I was fortunate enough to have been saved from the wrath of the virus, but it would not be entirely true. 

Even though I did not contract the virus, I saw my loved ones succumb to it. I watched from afar as my family cried and mourned, unable to comprehend my grief. Confused and exasperated, I bottled all my emotions and let them take the best of me. Daily chores became tough. So did finding the will to do something productive. I was in a dilemma.

I wanted to get better, but I could not gather the strength to do so. I eventually came to a point where I no longer recognized myself. It was as if the year had snatched my soul and burned it to ashes. 

But what is life if not sunlight with little rain, without change and a bit of pain? 

2021 was definitely not my best year. But it was a necessary one. 

It is only when you are forced to fight your demons that you change, heal and grow. And I did.  

I realized the importance of finding healthy ways to cope with my emotions. I now know that not all days will be my best and that is okay. 

I know that actions speak louder than words, and letting people feel the warmth of your love is the sweetest thing you should and must do before it is too late.

But most importantly, I learned how essential it is to be grateful. 

I am grateful that I am alive and doing well, that I have people and memories of those I love, and I am thankful to have survived the tumultuous storm that took so many lives. 

As I step into 2022, oblivious of what it holds ahead, I take along with me all the lessons that made me stronger. 

And I wish, from the bottom of my heart, that all those who had a fate similar or worse, carry with them some light and hope.

For the ugly duckling did eventually turn into a swan, and the nights are darkest before dawn.

Zoya Hanif

Delhi North '23

A second-year student at Hansraj College who's always up for trying something new!