Life > Experiences

You, me, and some millions of miles between us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

When I first got the news that my friend was going abroad to study and her manifestation had finally borne fruit, I was on cloud nine. The joy and euphoria of knowing she had finally made it overshadowed the harsh reality that she would soon be far away from me.

The feeling of missing her slowly started to creep in when she actually went away. Trust me, the distance doesn’t hurt as much as the time difference does. In school, everything seemed to last forever, and there was a genuine hope that we would keep interfering in each other’s lives and never leave each other alone. It was easier when the only distance between us was our different home addresses. Now the different home addresses have changed to different countries, and different countries mean different time zones.

Her tired nights are now my active mornings. My good mornings are delivered to her when it’s time for her to call it a day, while I receive her goodnights when the grumpy morning me still wishes it was night. My hectic afternoons are her relaxed evenings when she sits and makes all her pending calls. Earlier, we used to reply to each other’s text messages as soon as we could. But now the same replies take almost a day to reach us. While the chatterboxes in us crave a heartfelt tête-à-tête, the adults in us are constantly swinging between work and studies and are unable to make time for each other.

While the video calls, the voice notes, and the phone calls do help in staying connected, what I truly desire and miss is her physical presence, the conversation which did not depend on our internet connectivity, and just the mere fact that she was there, just around the corner whenever I stretched my hands. One thing I am certain of is that when we meet again, we will still be the same for each other. The Chilean writer Isabel Allende truly articulated my feelings when she said, “True friendship resists time, distance, and silence.”

Ritika Das

Delhi North '24

Ritika Das is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus North Delhi Chapter and a part of the Content Writing team for it's website. While she has explored different genres of topics but the most comfortable ones have always been entertainment, books and sports. Beyond Her Campus, she is a third year Political Science student of Indraprastha College For Women. She was the ex-sub editor of the English Editorial society of her college. She has also successfully published various articles in many regional and national newspapers and also in some of college magazines across du circuit. Her love for films and literary works justify the fact that she has done a two years minor course on Multimedia and Mass communication. In her leisure time, Ritika loves to get hold of the latest web series/films and also has an affiliation towards art and craft. She considers herself as one of the biggest cricket fan and and a true lover of Hindi old songs.