Life > Academics

DU’22 tryst: A peek into the aspirants’ arduous journey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Delhi University is among the most preferred universities by students across India. The University provides a plethora of courses and opportunities. Added to this, it offers affordable and accessible education for students from all walks of life.

As the new batch of students did everything and anything to be admitted to the prestigious University of Delhi, let us recapitulate their journey over the past two years. For a batch that spent most of its senior secondary education between a raging pandemic and rapid educational policy changes, they indeed have gone through a lot. Amidst all this chaos, the University of Delhi announced the Common Universities Entrance Test (CUET) as a means of admission.

The students were already struggling with the newly introduced bi-annual Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) and Council for Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE) exams when they were yet again faced with another bolt out of the blue. The news came as a shock not just for the students but also for teachers and parents. With almost no clarity on the exam pattern, the coaching industry was quick enough to commercialize these fears by announcing specialised batches to undo the “students’ troubles” by charging a hefty fee. An anecdote of this was some teachers claiming years of experience for an exam held for the first time in the history of India!

This was something that students couldn’t foresee and definitely weren’t prepared for. There was an utter state of confusion and miscommunication. Students who had been working tirelessly for the past one and a half years were extremely worried about their future. Unsure of how to go ahead with their preparation, the students paused in perplexity. Needless to say, it had a devastating impact on the mental health of students, but all they could do was sit tight and prepare for yet another exam.

Hopefully, all these months will prove to be worth the wait in the end. Patience is power for us right now and we can only sit tight, with the delicate promise of a better future in our hands, and glimmers of unwavering hope in our hearts,” said Vrinda Gupta, a DU aspirant from Chandigarh.

Now that most of the lists have been released, let’s hope their patience pays off and they experience a colourful and exciting life with the same colour and adventure that students generally do. However, who is to be held guilty for the learning loss in these months is a question that remains to be answered.

Tarun Jindal

Delhi North

A commerce student at Hindu College who is passionate about writing and creating social impact.