Love, Friendship, and Lifelong Lessons: A Journey Through ‘Everything I Know About Love’ with Dolly Alderton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

The autobiography “Everything I Know About Love” by Dolly Alderton is more than simply a book; it’s a trip entwined with the reader’s encounters with Love, Friendship, and Lifelong Lessons. It is perhaps one of the funniest, most alive readings of all time, as it emerges as an emotional tapestry of emotions that Alderton has woven together with her sensitive storytelling, moving experiences, relatable quotations, and humorous stories.

As I read through Alderton’s story, I was drawn into a world where love and friendship collided with happy and painful times. Her remarks helped me feel less alone and more understood while I navigated the difficulties of romantic relationships on my own. 

However, Alderton’s celebration of friendships struck a chord with me in addition to the story’s love elements. Reading about her travels with her closest friends reminded me of my treasured experiences of laughing till our stomachs hurt and finding comfort in each other’s support during trying times. 

One instance that struck a deep chord with me was Alderton’s reaction to her best friend meeting her boyfriend and her future husband. Her reaction was a mix of emotions that she couldn’t quite articulate at first. Initially, there was a sense of disbelief, as if the idea of Farly being in a relationship was something straight out of a fairy tale. As she processed the news, a wave of conflicting emotions washed over her – happiness for Farly, tinged with a hint of envy and perhaps even a touch of sadness. On one hand, Alderton was genuinely thrilled for Farly. She could sense the excitement and joy radiating from her friend as she recounted the details of her newfound romance. However, underneath her happiness, there was also a sense of envy. She wasn’t envious of the relationship or Farly. But rather, she was envious of Farly’s boyfriend since as time progressed, he became the most important and cherished person in Farly’s life, leaving Alderton all by herself. She refuses to let Farly go, because she loves her too much, but eventually realises that people grow and change, and sometimes, their paths diverge from ours. Trusting that they will come back to us when the time is right is a testament to our bond’s strength and our mutual respect’s autonomy. Learning to let go and allowing our friends to live their own lives is a fundamental aspect of nurturing healthy relationships. Letting go doesn’t mean abandoning our friendships or cutting ties altogether. It simply means loosening our grip and allowing our friends to chart their course while we continue to support them from the sidelines. It requires a certain level of trust and faith in the strength of our connection, knowing that distance and time apart cannot diminish the bond we share. Ultimately, when we give our friends the freedom to live their lives authentically, we create a space for deeper, more meaningful connections to flourish. And if they do stray from our side for a while, we can take comfort in the knowledge that true friendship is resilient and enduring. In time, they will return to us, their experiences enriching their lives and deepening our bond in ways we may never have imagined.

Alderton’s narrative is adorned with poignant quotes that encapsulate the essence of love and friendship:

“Friendship is the comfort of knowing that even when you feel alone, you are never truly on your own.”

“Love is not just about grand gestures; it’s in the small, everyday moments that we find its true magic.”

Each phrase resonates with profound truths, offering solace and wisdom to those grappling with their own experiences of love and loss. Her words linger long after the final page, reminding her of the transformative power of human connection.

In addition, Alderton’s use of humorous tales gave the story a delightfully lighthearted touch and reflected the erratic character of life and love. These tales acted as a gentle reminder to accept the ridiculousness of the human condition and to not take ourselves too seriously. During my reading of “Everything I Know About Love,” I found myself laughing heartily at Alderton’s poignant tales and thought-provoking observations, nodding in agreement, and crying tears of empathy. Her comments were like a warm hug in times of doubt, providing consolation and confidence.

Upon turning the last page of the memoir, I felt a fresh respect for the subtleties of friendship, love, and self-discovery. As a young teenager who does not shy away from the concept of deeply embracing love in everything life has to offer, “Everything I Know About Love” is more than just a book for me; it is a reality check, a goal book and a guide to life. It makes us laugh, cry, contemplate and appreciate the beauty of the relationships we build.

Arshia Mehta

Delhi North '27

Born into a generation characterized by tumultuous times and instability, Arshia possesses a profound zeal for global politics and international affairs. Since 2019, she has actively participated in more than 90 Model United Nations (MUN) conferences, showcasing her fervor for diplomacy and negotiation. Arshia stands as a dedicated orator, earning accolades not only from MUNs but also from debates, extempores, and various other competitions on both national and international stages. Her commitment to social responsibility is exemplified by her collaboration with numerous humanitarian organizations, including Goong NGO, The Menaka Gandhi Organisation for Animal Welfare, Humans for Humankind, and Sexceed India. She firmly believes in the pivotal role of nurturing young minds to contribute to a better world that upholds our shared values and principles.