The Art of Love Review: Turkish Heist Thriller Meets Romance in a Netflix Popcorn Flick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

The art of love: Popcorn Flick or Forgettable Fare?

The Art of Love on Netflix might initially seem like just another addition to the overflowing sea of elaborate art heist movies, but don’t let that dissuade you from giving it a chance. This Turkish romantic action-thriller is like that friend who shows up to the party a little late but still manages to crack a few jokes. Directed by Recai Karagoz, the film tries to perfect a well-worn subgenre. While it doesn’t quite reach the heights of brilliance, it still manages to entertain during its 99-minute runtime—perfect for when you need a break from serious life stuff.

Set against the backdrop of a high-tech art heist in Budapest, the film follows Alin (played by the charming Esra Bilgic) and her partner Ozan (Ushan Cakir) from Interpol’s Department of Art-Theft Stopping as they chase after a mysterious thief. The plot thickens faster than a bowl of oatmeal when Alin discovers that the thief is none other than her ex-lover, Guney (Birkan Sokullu), who has become a wealthy businessman since their breakup. Cue the dramatic music!

With a formulaic yet engaging storyline, The Art of Love keeps you hooked as Alin navigates the complexities of her past relationship while trying to catch Guney in the act. It’s like a game of cat and mouse, only the mouse is a very rich dude who might also be a jerk. However, the film’s reliance on generic spy/heist movie music threatens to overshadow its plot, acting as a persistent distraction throughout. Seriously, it’s like the music is yelling, “Hey! Look at me!” while the actual heist is happening.

Despite its shortcomings, there are moments of charm—especially in Bilgic’s performance, which exudes charisma even when her character feels about as developed as a wet napkin. Unfortunately, the chemistry between the leads falls flatter than a pancake at a weight loss retreat, leaving the romantic tension feeling, well, a bit deflated.

Ultimately, The Art of Love falls into the trap of mimicking Hollywood influences without adding any substantial depth of its own. It’s a glossy, slick production that tries to emulate the excitement of its genre counterparts but ends up feeling like a glittery knockoff you’d find in a bargain bin.

In conclusion, while The Art of Love may not offer much in terms of substance, it serves as a passable option for those looking for a mindless, popcorn flick to fill an evening. Just don’t expect it to leave a lasting impression or provide anything beyond surface-level entertainment—like a candy bar that promises health benefits but is mostly just sugar.

Geshna Khattar

Delhi North '26

Geshna Khattar is a dynamic individual with a rich tapestry of talents and interests. She is an integral part of the editorial team at Her Campus for DU North Campus, where she contributes her creativity and insight to a wide range of content. Beyond her campus commitments, Geshna holds the esteemed position of Joint Secretary of the Placement Cell at Daulat Ram College. In this role, she plays a pivotal part in bridging the gap between students and prospective career opportunities, a testament to her dedication to the academic community. She is not only an academic achiever but also an accomplished sportsperson. She has clinched numerous state and national medals in fencing, showcasing her exceptional prowess and dedication in the sporting arena. Currently pursuing a B.A. (Hons) in Psychology at Delhi University, she exemplifies a commitment to both her education and athletic pursuits. However, Geshna's talents extend well beyond academics and sports. She is a devoted dog lover, cherishing moments with her loyal companion. Additionally, she has a deep passion for music, which serves as a source of inspiration and relaxation in her life. Moreover, Geshna is a gifted poet and artist. Through the medium of poetry and visual art, she channels her creativity and emotions. She is a multifaceted individual whose dedication to academics, sports, art, music, and her furry friend reflect a well-rounded and inspiring persona.