The Euphoria over ‘Euphoria’ finally got to me!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Disclaimer: This article is being written by someone who has not watched a single episode — nay, minute — of Euphoria. Thus, there will likely be many inaccuracies throughout the piece, so bear with me. I am sensitive to any storylines and characters shown in the series and there are no intentions to talk about anything trivially. Also,❗spoiler alert❗ in case I accidentally give away a true spoiler due to my speculations!

Yes, you heard that right — a Euphoria virgin is writing a take on Euphoria — an idea just as crazy as the show itself. After seeing millions of Euphoria make-up looks, memes, reels and much more, my mind was running a mile per minute. So, here I present what I have managed to gauge about Euphoria from Instagram posts, memes, video montages, stylized looks, make-up looks, and even Spotify playlists! 

EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA. The vibes that I get from the show are super super super extra and I 👏🏽 am 👏🏽 here 👏🏽 for it! First things first, everyone in Euphoria wears a colored eye-liner, am I right or am I right? (I could be horribly wrong). Oh, and the bejewelled make-up looks are absolutely insane! The multiple reels with people dressing over-the-top for a regular day at school give me immaculate feels. The crazy parties exhibit over-the-top vibes, and honestly, should it be any other way? Also, a minor detail I noticed is the energy that the blue lighting brings with it, it’s just the last piece that sets the vibe to ✨ perfectly euphoric ✨

I am terribly sorry for any Euphoria fans out there for putting them through this ordeal especially because — it’s gonna get worse 😬

Maddy, Cassie, Rue, Nate — these characters are the names I have heard and seen the most all over Instagram. Let me take a shot at catching their vibe (terrible idea).

Maddy seems to be confident and bad-ass. She doesn’t care what she’s told to do and does exactly what she wants to. Coming to Cassie, she seems to be someone who owns the room she walks into but behind closed doors is trying to hide who she truly is, the pressure of which is breaking her. She is seen as perfect, but only she knows of the facade she sometimes puts on where she might be making mistakes that she’s not ready to show the world. But she is also found taking a stand for herself, being who she is, starting to not give two hoots — how does this even work?

Another character who caught my attention was Rue. She seems like the low-key person who has a baddie personality but doesn’t care to show it. It feels like she has a dark past or a troubling present and if provided with the right comfort, she would just break down right there despite the tough front she puts out. 

Lastly, Nate seems to be the ‘it’ guy of a typical American high school who can be imagined doing no wrong. He seems to be someone who can say the absolute brutal truth to someone’s face and probably not see how it would affect them. 

Now the idea of the plot seems to be somewhat similar to the plots of the drama shows set in the 90s but with a lot of Gen-Z elements and loads of confetti. There are parts of the plot which I pieced together using people’s no context rants on Twitter. 

The Cassie and Maddy story feels like they were best friends in the first half of the show, but Cassie has a major crush on Nate who is Maddy’s boyfriend?? (or not). So, Cassie is trying to woo Nate, but he only has eyes for Maddy. This ends with Nate cheating on Maddy with Cassie and she finds out. Now that’s a dramatically messy situation and I would NOT want to get in the middle of it. (I can see that I sound like a teenager on a call with their best friend😳)

Rue and her struggle, I believe, leads to a huge incident in the show which I am unable to figure out but I know is an important part of the story and the character. 

Although this is only a small aspect of the plot that I could figure out, I know for sure that there is way more to the show. I think there is much more to it than the drama, the extravagance, and the madness. Also is there also someone who gets murdered in the show??

The show has had me so intrigued that I have scoured the internet for plot lines, character traits, and catchphrases. I guess I will have to stop getting onto the last coach on the trend train and catch up with Euphoria!

Ananya Mittal

Delhi North '24

Ananya is a first-year student at Hindu College, pursuing economics in her coming years at Delhi University. She is working towards fulfilling her dream to work at the United Nations and other international organisations hoping to create change in the world, for the better. Another dreamier dream of hers is to work at a magazine like Scarlet from 'The Bold type' and that, apart from many other things, is what brings her to Her Campus. When idle, she likes to sing along to Taylor Swift, talk till someone tells her to stop (not), dance like no one's watching and get lost in the world of books. She loves cheesy story-endings, sunsets and soup. She strongly advocates for egalitarianism, environmental conservation and a better and safer world for humankind in every way possible.