burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Modest Girls Guide to Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Drexel chapter.

It’s that time of year again – a day dedicated to eating too much candy and embracing all things spooky. For some, Halloween is a holiday full of trick-or-treating and getting into a candy coma. For others, it’s all about finding a costume that makes you feel sexy and brings out your inner devil, animal, or whatever is on trend. 

I am a freshman in college this year, and it’s no surprise that Halloween has a reputation of changing when you get to campus. One college Halloween trend you may have heard of is a lack of clothing when it comes to any costume – and I mean any costume. If you’re like me, this can seem super intimidating. But have no fear! We are going to get through this holiday together. 

Below is both some tips on how to still feel sexy while covered, and some Halloween costume ideas to get you there. The following six costumes range anywhere from 90’s TV show characters, historical figures, cult classics, and modern day superheroes. Our picks are trendy, comfortable, and allow you to flaunt your favorite feature on your body!

1. Sandy from Grease 

Image courtesy of WOTV 4 Women

The great thing about this costume for anyone who doesn’t want to have bare legs is that it involves pants! A classic look like this, you can’t compromise, and you’ll still feel sexy showing off some shoulders and arms. Also, who doesn’t feel powerful and sexy in all-black leather?!

2. Kim Possible

Image courtesy of Pinterest

Fulfill your 90’s childhood dream by being this badass heroine. This costume is great because you can alter the amount of skin showing to what you are comfortable with. Rock a black long- sleeve crop top to show some skin or keep it casual with a shirt tucked in.

3. Wonder Woman 

Image courtesy of Pinterest

Channel your inner Wonder Woman this Halloween! All you need are blue jeans, a red styled bustier top, and some gold accessories. Also, wearing a cape with this costume is a good way to keep your shoulders covered, if you wish. You can also turn this into a group costume by getting Batwoman and Superwoman to come along!

4. Wednesday Addams

Image courtesy of Lyndsay Picardal 

For a look that’s more creepy and mysterious, Wednesday is the way to go. This cult classic costume involves just a black dress with a white collar. Put your great legs on display by putting on some sheer black tights and boom! Don’t forget to match this outfit with your inner moody-teenager attitude.

5. Eleven from Stranger Things

Image courtesy of Lookbook

With season two just around the corner, this will be a time to shine! Everyone may have done it last year, but that means the Eleven costume will be unique this year! Go with her classic style consisting of a pink baby doll dress, navy blue bomber, and high socks or shake it up with a hospital gown as Eleven who just escaped the lab. Both are perfect for a cold Halloween night.

6. Rosie the Riveter

Image courtesy of Refinery29

Let your inner feminist fly this Halloween with this iconic historical figure. This classic look is great because it involves everything you already have in your closet! Dress it up with a bold red lip and a bandana, while still keeping it casual with jeans.

These are just six examples of super simple Halloween costumes you can wear while staying in your comfort zone of clothing. Each of these are so versatile and on trend that you can alter them to fit what’s most comfortable to you. Remember, Halloween is a holiday where you’re only supposed to worry about witches and ghosts, not how much or how little you’re showing. Less clothing does not equal sexier, so just be you and have fun! 

Her Campus Drexel contributor.