10 Reasons Why It Sucks to Come Back After F&M Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

F&M, we love you, but spring break was just too much fun. Here are just some of the reasons why we hate coming back to school after our spring breaks.

1.     WINTER DID NOT GO AWAY! Okay. Seriously Mother Nature, why is it snowing in March in Lancaster? Why do we have to come back from our sunny spring breaks to wet snow everywhere? We want to enjoy the outside, not trudge to our 8:30s in the snow.

2.      So many of our friends’ schools decided to have spring break as soon as we got back. So basically, we get to spend spring break with our couches while our friends enjoy Florida or the Caribbean the next week. We haven’t seen our friends in forever; why do we have to wait even longer?

3.      Tests, Tests, and More Tests! F&M, you have such a funny sense of humor…too bad no one here appreciates it. Really– tests, quizzes, midterms, papers, and all that fun stuff as soon as we get back? No thank you. We spent our breaks relaxing, not studying.

4.      We really don’t want to see those midterm grades. So you had midterms before break, but like every other college student, all you could think of was spring break. Now you must suffer the consequences of seeing those lovely midterm grades…yikes!

5.      We have no other breaks until we go home. We are stuck wishing for rest and relaxation on a vacation when that seven-page paper looms over our heads. As soon as we get back, we have to start thinking about finals coming up, and no one enjoys those.

6.      We didn’t do any of the work over break...so now we’re swamped. I mean, who can think of reading a textbook when the sun is shining and it’s a beautiful day? Did the professors really think we would do work, let alone get ahead, during break? Now we get to enjoy work on top of work on top of work for the rest of the semester.

7.      Our meal plans are running low and there’s nothing good to eat! The classic F&M dilemma. Swipes start to run low, but you can’t picture how you used all of them. You’re running out of flex trying to find alternative sources of food, but no luck there either. Find a good place to eat off campus? Nope, not really, no.

8.      Sleep, how we miss you! Welcome back to the world of 8:30s and late nights studying and hanging out with friends. We can’t sleep all the time like we did on break, and we still have to squeeze in time for homework. Sleep time goes away the second we come back.

9.      So much for catching up on TV. Remember all those shows you loved and caught up with over break? Between schoolwork, classes, extra-curricular activities, and socializing and having fun, we have no time for all the good TV shows we love!

10.  It means we’re getting closer to saying goodbye to our favorite seniors! As this semester flies by, everyone knows it’s getting closer to the time to say goodbye. Not just your friends in your dorm, or in your year, but all of your favorite seniors as well. It’s hard to say goodbye when everyone can live so far away, and when our seniors graduate, they may be saying goodbye for good! We will miss them all so much next year! 

Along with being the Her Campus Franklin and Marshall Campus Correspondent, I am also the editor-in-chief of Epilogue, F&M's literary Magazine, Staff Writer for The College Reporter, F&M's student newspaper, and a very active member of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity. When not hard at work, you can find me writing, reading, geeking out over Disney movies with my friends, or doing art projects.