Jessica Dunbar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

If all you readers saw F&M’s staging of The Vagina Monologues this year, you have our next Campus Celebrity to thank. Not only did Jessica Dunbar ‘13 do an amazing job performing in the show, but she also successfully directed it and helped raise awareness to end violence against women and girls. As a prior cast member, I am proud to call her a celebrity of Her Campus F&M.  Read on to learn more about Jessica’s accomplishments and her dedication to the One Billion Rising campaign!

1. Why is this show so important to you? 

I’ve been involved with the show since my freshman year. This year is my fourth and final year of being involved. For the first two years I was a member of the cast, and Last year and this year, I’ve had the awesome opportunity of directing the show (although I couldn’t pass up being in the cast too this year).I really wanted to get involved because of my love for being on stage, but During the first year and growing in the years after, I realized many things that I didn’t before about issues that women face right here and all around the world. I didn’t realize the varieties of inequalities and treatment towards women, even some that I have certainly faced myself. The show is liberating, it is empowering, it is hilarious, and it is uncomfortable. It being ‘uncomfortable’ is probably my most favorite thing about it, because you’ll never be able to see anything differently if you don’t step outside your bubble. And it is important that we do so.

2. Is this your first time directing a show? How has your experience been so far?

Directing has been great. I’ve been acting for 11 years, making costumes for productions for about 3, and this is my second year directing thanks to The Vagina Monologues. It has definitely given me some great leadership skills and an awesome opportunity bond with some of the greatest women to ever strut gold (or red) glitter across F&M’s campus.

3. What can you tell us about One Billion and Rising? 

This year is a special show (in reality and to me personally) since it based on the one billion rising campaign (onebillionrising.org). On 2-14-13, women and their friends made the earth move as they danced in over 189 countries, to say enough is enough. The movement started out of outrage for the fact that 1 in 3 women will be beaten in her lifetime. I’m not sure why it has taken so long for us to have such an awesome global event of rising and protesting these injustices. Those crimes happen so frequently that I think people don’t even think about it anymore, and that is unfortunate, unacceptable, and dangerous. We all need to respect each other’s minds, bodies, and emotions. When we begin to look at each other as equals, as human beings, then we will see real change. And you know what? If my vagina could talk, that is what it would say. (Insider to the show!)

4. Your cast includes women who have never even performed on a stage before! What have been your words of inspiration for them, especially those who have the more intense and emotionally heavy monologues?

When I was searching for a cast for this year’s production, I only asked that people fit at least one of two criteria: 1) be passionate about women’s rights and issues, and 2)have an interest in acting (even if it is your first time). Everyone has been doing so well, and I’m not sure if I have inspired them, but I hope my guidance has allowed them to find their own voice in the monologues they will be performing. Some of these stories are pretty heavy; some of them are pretty funny. I’ve asked them to look into the kind of woman who would tell that story, and to be that woman as much as they could possibly be. Each monologue provides its own actress with an opportunity to grow, and I’m just glad to have had a part in that process.

5. What are your goals for the show and how have you prepared to complete them?

V-day at F&M has been going on for close to 9 or 10 years now. We have raised so much money in the past and have truly made a difference for women in Lancaster and internationally, as far away as the Congo. My goal is to try and get as many people to join us in making a difference once again by seeing the show. And as with any other performance, I just want our V-Ladies to go on stage and have fun. One of the reasons why I love theater so much is because when you are backstage, trying to control those stomach butterflies, and then it’s your turn to go on, it suddenly turns into a conversation with the audience, a connection with bright lights, and a chance to just step outside your comfort zone and breathe life into something that was once just words in on paper. When you walk off stage and you hear the applause, you get this feeling that fear is easily conquered and that you just made someone else feel moved in a new way. I want my cast to really take away something from this, because I know how much this show has changed me over the last four years. I couldn’t imagine being the proud and confident woman that I am now without the productions I’ve been a part of and the connections with other young women that I’ve made.