This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at F and M chapter.

If you’re a second semester sophomore here at F&M, the time between February 11th and February 22nd  marked another major milestone to cross off the before graduation bucket list: declaring your major! While it’s definitely a great milestone, it can come with a lot of stress. Here are some reminders and tips about the major declaration period and declaring your major:

1.      Look at the courses. Every major has different courses that are mandatory, and each department has a certain number of required courses. You may be relieved to know that in your future major you’ve already taken a lot of the required courses!

2.      Make sure you like your advisor. You have the power now to pick whomever YOU want to be your advisor for the next two years. Pick someone you have taken courses with already and who you can get along with well. You’re going to be working closely with this professor, so why not pick someone you like and trust?

3.      There may be some complications. Since when does anything in life go perfectly, or just as we expect it to? There may be setbacks and issues that come up, but you’ll be able to fix them all (even if it means asking for a little help)! Your future advisor is there to help you out and get you through everything, especially during this period.

4.      Like and be proud of your (future) major. No one wants to take classes that aren’t appealing or just plain boring. You want to enjoy your classes and the hard work you will put into your major. Also, whatever you choose makes you happy and no one can tell you otherwise. You’re in college and an adult and can make your own decisions. Don’t let other people say that your major isn’t a “good” major or not a “useful” major. You want to be proud of all that you study in college.

5.      The process isn’t always easy. You may have to spend a lot of time mapping out your courses for the next four semesters and when you will take everything, but hey, Rome wasn’t built in a day. Some people also do joint majors, which requires writing 300-500 words on your rationale behind your joint major. It can be a complete pain, but it’s worth it! If you can’t sell yourself on why you think a joint major (or any major) is worth it or fits together, how are you going to sell everyone else? While it isn’t easy, it teaches you a lot about yourself.

6.      It’s okay not to have your future career mapped out. So, you know what you want to major in, but not what you want to do in life? Not a problem. Each major offers a wide variety of opportunities for future employment, so in time, you’re bound to find someone who will help you find your perfect career. Doing one major also doesn’t necessarily mean you have to follow a certain career. For example, being an English major doesn’t mean you have to become a writer or a teacher. Sometimes, having a unique degree looks better to grad schools for some diversity!

7.      Breathe! You will get through this and you will have a major. You just need to breathe and relax. It can be stressful, but just remember, before you know it, you’ll be done with this process for good!  

Along with being the Her Campus Franklin and Marshall Campus Correspondent, I am also the editor-in-chief of Epilogue, F&M's literary Magazine, Staff Writer for The College Reporter, F&M's student newspaper, and a very active member of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity. When not hard at work, you can find me writing, reading, geeking out over Disney movies with my friends, or doing art projects.