This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Summer is almost always filled with friends, sun-soaked beaches, and getaways (exotic or otherwise). When we think of those few weeks, with limited responsibilities and endless possibilities (should our wallets allow it) we almost certainly think of… well, a trip! This summer, I tried out a different kind of escapeā€”one that would transport me to distant lands, introduce me to captivating people and places, and ignite my imagination entirely from the comfort of my bed, and the heavy books in my hands. So here’s Part 01!

BOOK 01:

Wings of Ebony

Witchcraft Hero 01?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Audrey Wu / Her Campus Media Design Team

Author: J. Elle

Rue, a brave girl who happens to be a demi-god, has her life turned upside down when her mother is murdered in front of her. Swept away to Ghizon, a hidden island of magic wielders, forced to leave behind her sister and everything she has come to know. But when Rue returns home and witnesses the violence faced by the people she grew up among she realizes she must use her powers to their lives from the same fate that claimed her mother’s life.

BOOK 02:

The Prey of Gods

Author: Nicky Drayden

One of the most original books I read over the summer, “The Prey of Gods” takes place in a future South Africa, with new-found prosperity on the horizon thanks to personal robots and renewable energy. But as with any prospering nation, comes a threat to the good, a new and dangerous drug, an AI uprising, and an ancient demigoddess seeking a return to power. Four unlikely heroes are forced to join forces to protect their countryā€”a powerful Zulu girl, a mind-controlling queer teen, a troubled pop star, and a conflicted politician.

BOOK 03:

Blood Like Magic

Author: Liselle Sambury

Voya Thomas is a witch, who when we first meet her, is waiting for her “Calling” the trial every witch must pass to unlock their powers. But when inevitably she fails, her ancestors offer her a second chance with a horrifying task: to kill her first love, or her family will lose their magic. Desperate to take her place among the other witches, Voya joins a genetic matchmaking program to find the perfect guy, to meet her ancestor’s demands. When she’s paired with the infuriating Luc, her mission becomes more complicated. As time passes and the pressure mounts, Voya must decide between her duty to her family and her growing feelings for Luc.

BOOK 04:

Parable of Sower

study abroad spain barcelona palm trees beach summer sunny tropical
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

Author: Octavia E. Butler

In 2025, Lauren Oya Olamina, a woman gifted with hyper-empathy, lives in the ruins of Los Angeles, a city once a beautiful American city, destroyed by disease, war, and climate change. Struggling with immense loss and despair, Lauren takes it upon herself to create a new belief system called Earthseed and embarks on a mission to escape Earth, hoping to save humanity and forge a new destiny for mankind.

BOOK 05:

Raybearer

Author: Jordan Ifueko

A retelling of Rapunzel, where Tarisai was raised in isolation by her mother, known as the Lady. Yearning for love and family, Tarisai is sent to her nation’s capital to compete for a place in the Crown Prince’s Council of 11. Where, if chosen, she would form an unbreakable bond with the other Council members through the Ray, a connection stronger than blood. The allure of belonging is powerful for Tarisai, but the Lady has a darker plan, compelling her to kill the Crown Prince once she gains his trust. Determined to forge her path, Tarisai must navigate the complexity of loyalty, fate, and the love she was so eager to find.

Hope Flynn is an senior at FIU, and a lover of anime, movies, and television. Currently majoring in Creative Writing, she is a storyteller at heart, and devoted to bringing her unique perspective to Her Campus. As a Scorpio, Hope approaches her interests with a deep passion and determination. Her love for music, movies, books, makeup, and television is matched only by her dedication to storytelling. When she's not at work or buried in her coursework, you'll find her experimenting with new recipes, curled up with a novel, discovering the latest fiction releases, or sharing her favorite reads with the Her Campus community.