This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

So it’s three days before your exam, and you just cracked open your textbook to review half a semester’s worth of material.

But unless you have a photo-copy memory and the sleeping tendencies of a vampire, and I hate to break it you, you’re not going to do nearly as well as if you had prepared correctly.

I heard this quote once, and it stuck with me forever:

“Consistent average work will always beat out inconsistent excellent work.”

And it’s the honest-to-God truth!

The truth is that you will never realize your full potential or be as successful as you want until you start putting in the work it demands, and this advice endures long past midterms.

So, if you’re willing to do what it takes to reach your academic goals, you should consider the *correct* way to study for your midterms this fall!

First Things First

Write down all your due dates in a planner or whatever works for you, assuming you won’t lose it. Ideally, this prep is accomplished at the beginning of the semester, using the syllabus for guidance. A few weeks before test day, write down a rough estimate of how much time you need to devote to each class.

Next steps

Then, create a schedule to divide your time accordingly. If a class is especially hard, you’ll need to dedicate extra time, so plan, plan, plan. And be honest with yourself because it’s your grade at the end of the day. Do this as far in advance as you can to minimize stress later on.

Then what?

After you’ve created a schedule, it’s time to study. Start by creating an outline for all your classes, using the book, assignments, and supplemental learning provided. These outlines will condense and synthesize the information, making it easier to read and digest. Complete your work to the best of your abilities, and be cautious about including irrelevant information.

What if I’m struggling with something?

If you know you’re struggling with a particular class, reach out to your professor before midterms start. That should give you plenty of time to clarify any concepts and revise your outline. Don’t wait until the last minute to ask questions about the material or begin writing your skeleton.

Ultimately

As Hannah Montana once said, life’s what you make it. If you don’t put in the work now when it matters, you can’t expect to reap the best rewards. Once you start preparing accordingly, you’ll realize how much time, stress, and tears you’re saving that you won’t ever consider not preparing again.

And remember: “Consistent average work will always beat out inconsistent excellent work.”

Follow DANIELA on Instagram.

Daniela Gonzalez is a 21-year-old HerCampus Writer at Florida International University. She is currently double-majoring in Political Science and International Relations while acquiring certificates in Pre-Law and National Security. She enjoys writing about lifestyle, wellness, and politics. When she is not writing, she loves to travel, go out to eat, and spend time with her friends and family.