Bgb Editor'S Letter Hero Image
Bgb Editor'S Letter Hero Image
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media

The Black Girl’s Complete Guide to Make-Up: The Skin Care Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Makeup is a timeless and versatile art that has the remarkable ability to enhance beauty and serve as a means of self-expression all at once. It is a tool that empowers individuals to celebrate their unique features while giving them the means to communicate their creativity, emotions, and personality. but it comes with a set of distinctive challenges when you have melanin-rich skin. Historically, the beauty industry has not kept pace with the diverse shades and undertones found within the spectrum of black skin. This often means that finding the perfect foundation, concealer, or lipstick shade can be an uphill battle, leaving many individuals with less room for experimentation and self-expression. But the challenges don’t end there. Cultural perceptions, familial expectations, and societal norms may influence an individual’s relationship with skincare. In some communities, skin care is seen as a luxury, while in others, it may be viewed as an integral part of self-care and self-expression. Skincare should never be this complex. So let’s break it down, shall we?

Skin Care: Every Baddie’s Cheat Code

If makeup is the tool to enhance your beauty, let’s think of a skincare routine as the key to truly stunning makeup, and forever youthful features. In this section, we will break down the importance of skincare for women of color and provide step-by-step instructions for each skincare product application.

Step 01: Cleanser:

A gentle cleanser is the first step in any skincare routine. It removes dirt, makeup, and excess oils from your skin. For women of color, using a cleanser designed to address specific skin needs, such as one that helps combat hyperpigmentation, is a great choice. There are many options out there, be sure to select one that will target specific issues.

Here are some of my favorites:

• Skinfix Barrier+ Foaming Oil Hydrating Cleanser: For all skin types, best for those concerned about Wrinkles, Dryness, Fine Lines, and Redness. ($30)
  • Pharmacy Whipped Greens Oil-Free Foaming Cleanser with Moringa and Papaya: For Combination and Oily skin types, best for those with concerns regarding Pores, Dullness, and Oiliness. ($28)
  • Youth to the People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser: For all skin types, best for those with concerns regarding Pores, Acne and Blemishes, and Oiliness. ($39)

Step 02: Toner:

Toner helps balance your skin’s pH levels, tightens pores, and removes any remaining impurities. Toners create a smooth canvas for serums and moisturizers to be more effective, as they can penetrate the skin better when applied on a freshly toned surface. It’s a vital step to prep your skin.

Here are some of my favorites:

• Laneige Cream Skin Refillable Toner & Moisturizer with Ceramides and Peptides: For all skin types, best for those with concerns regarding Dryness, Acne and Blemishes, and Loss of Firmness and Elasticity. ($36)
  • Farmacy Deep Sweep 2% BHA Pore Cleaning Toner with Moringa + Papaya: For Combination and Oily skin types, best for those with concerns regarding, Pores, Uneven Texture, and Oiliness. ($32)
  • Youth to the People Mini Mandelic Acid + Superfood Unity Exfoliant: For all skin types, best for those with concerns regarding Pores, Uneven Texture, and Acne Blemishes. ($16)

Step 03: Serum:

Serums are concentrated products that target specific skin issues. For women of color, serums containing ingredients like vitamin C or niacinamide can help even out skin tone and reduce hyperpigmentation. Apply your chosen serum to address your specific skin concerns.

Here are some of my favorites:

• Skinfix Barrier Triple Lipid + Collagen + Niacinamide Activating Serum: For all skin types, best for those with concerns regarding Fine Lines and Wrinkles, Loss of Firmness and Elasticity, and Dryness. ($69)
  • Youth to the People 15% Vitamin C + Caffeine Energy Brightening Serum for Uneven Tone: For all skin types, best for those with concerns in regard to Dark Spots, Fine Lines and Wrinkles, and Dullness. ($69)
  • INN Beauty Slushy Serum Moisturizer Crush Infused with Bakuchiol: For all skin types, best for those with concerns in regard to Fine Lines/Wrinkles, Dryness, and Uneven Texture. ($30)

Step 04: Moisturizer

Moisturizing is a crucial step in maintaining healthy skin. Opt for a moisturizer suitable for your skin type, whether it’s dry, oily, or combination. A moisturizer with added antioxidants can also help protect your skin from environmental damage.

Here are some of my favorites:

• Skinfix barrier+ Skin Barrier Niacinamide Refillable Restoring Gel Cream. For all skin types, it is best for those with concerns in regard to Fine Lines and Wrinkles, Dryness, and Loss of Firmness and Elasticity. ($48)
  • Youth to the People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid. For Normal, Combination, and Oily skin types, it is best for those with concerns in regard to Fine Lines and Wrinkles, Dryness, and Loss of Firmness and Elasticity. ($48)
  • Skinfix Barrier+ Triple Lipid-Peptide Refillable Face Cream. For all skin types, it is best for those with concerns in regard to Fine Lines and Wrinkles, Dryness, and Dullness. ($54)

Step 05: Sunscreen:

Sun protection is especially important for women of color, as our skin is more susceptible to hyperpigmentation. Using a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 is a must. Make it a daily habit to protect your skin from UV damage, which can exacerbate skin issues.

Here are some of my favorites:

• Cay Skin Isle Nourishing Body Mist SPF 50 with Sea Moss and Hyaluronic Acid. For all skin types, it is best for those with concerns in regard to Dryness, Redness, and Dullness. ($26)
  • Cay Skin Isle Glow Face Moisturizer SPF 45 with Sea Moss and Niacinamide. For all skin types, it is best for those with concerns in regard to Dryness, Dullness, and Uneven Texture. ($34)
  • Cay Skin Isle Glow Body Lotion SPF 45 with Sea Moss and Cocoa Seed Butter. For all skin types, it is best for those with concerns in regard to Dryness, Dullness, and Uneven Texture. ($38)
  • Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40. For all skin types, it is best for those with concerns in regard to Fine Lines and Wrinkles, Pores, Dullness, and Uneven Texture. ($38)

Final Thoughts:

As we said, Skincare is the foundation of any beautiful makeup look, and women of color have unique needs that must be addressed, use this as a guide to crafting your own routine as unique as you. With a consistent skincare routine, you can enhance your natural beauty, tackle common skin concerns, and create a canvas that truly allows your skin (and makeup) to shine.

Hope Flynn is an senior at FIU, and a lover of anime, movies, and television. Currently majoring in Creative Writing, she is a storyteller at heart, and devoted to bringing her unique perspective to Her Campus. As a Scorpio, Hope approaches her interests with a deep passion and determination. Her love for music, movies, books, makeup, and television is matched only by her dedication to storytelling. When she's not at work or buried in her coursework, you'll find her experimenting with new recipes, curled up with a novel, discovering the latest fiction releases, or sharing her favorite reads with the Her Campus community.