Why ‘Pamela, A Love Story’ Is A Must Watch This Valentines Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

“She defined a decade, now she’s choosing to define herself”

The woman once known for being nothing short of a sex symbol has decided to take control of her pen and write her own narrative instead of letting others continue to write for her.

With the help of her two children (whom Pam claims to be her greatest accomplishments), Anderson has cultivated a beautiful documentary showcasing the raw and real side of the famous blonde bombshell. With this comes the real and raw struggles she’s endured throughout her life. 

In her documentary, Pamela Anderson describes being sexually abused throughout her youth by her female babysitter; a few years later, she was sexually assaulted by a 25-year-old man. Fast forward about a decade and Anderson is still enduring a disturbing amount of abuse; this time it’s from the public eye, and something she defined as its own form of sexual abuse. Anderson also touches on her tumultuous journey searching for love, including her iconic yet problematic relationship with Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee. Throughout her course in life, navigating through the ups and downs of all of these things, Pamela Anderson has learned many lessons that aided her in finding herself;

it’s time we all take a page from her book.

1. Always choose self love Over Love from others

A makeup-free Pam in her most natural state kicks back on her couch before getting vulnerable. The words “I haven’t truly loved anyone other than Tommy (Lee)” slip through her lips, shocking the nation. After a rocky relationship full of lies, physical abuse and decades apart, it comes as a shock Pamela Anderson would still even have Tommy Lee on her mind, but she does, and she wants the world to know that’s okay. “I’ll always love him, he gave me two beautiful babies, but it’ll never work, and I just have to accept that.”

After Lee’s 1998 arrest for spousal battery, Anderson immediately filed for divorce, picked up the pieces and moved on in life, despite how hard it was.

“The divorce from Tommy was the hardest, lowest, most difficult point of my life, but I knew I had to walk away. I wasn’t going to accept that treatment.”

No matter how much you love someone, we must remember that respect and self-love always come first.

“I don’t need to be with you, I want to be with you, and if I want to leave I can.”

2. Define Yourself, Don’t let others define you

The woman notorious for being America’s most desirable loved being viewed as a sensual figure… until she was defined as nothing short of that.

Anderson has dedicated her life to working hard and to many philanthropic endeavors. Yet, in light of her infamous “tape” leak, society has categorized her as nothing more than a body, as if she were just a “caricature.” With a despairing look on her face, Anderson claims that this “caricature status” consumed her, and she found herself slowly shifting into this persona instead of remaining her true self.

You can be beauty and brains

You can be sensual and bright

You can be YOU

Don’t let society tell you what you can and can’t be. Always Define yourself.

3. Love is a journey

As she finalizes her fifth divorce at age 55, Anderson finds herself feeling quite lost on what’s next for her, but at the same time, she loves it.

There’s no set schedule for love. Don’t let the world make you feel as if you have to be settled down or have it all figured out by a certain point.

4. you can always OVERCOME AND PROsper

After years of abuse, slander, misogyny, and all sorts of pain, Pamela Anderson never let it defeat her.

“I needed to take my power back as a woman,” states Anderson. “I’m sure there are people struggling just like I have, and I want those people to know you’re human and you’re not bad, and it’s never too late to regain that strength.”

Pamela Anderson has continued to prove herself to be the icon she is by putting forth her kind, pure-hearted, and loving soul to the world, making it clear nobody can steal her shine.

Something we should all consider doing this season of love <3

Rilee Lucas

Fordham '24

Hey everyone, I'm Rilee! I'm a journalism major currently in my junior year at Fordham University. When I'm not writing, you can find me listening to old-school R&B and watching Basketball <3