One of the first things new college students are faced with is the looming threat of transportation. Whether it be figuring out how to get to class, how to get back home, or even just to get around their college town, sometimes it can be a bit tricky and expensive. This is especially true if you’re like me and don’t have access to a car at school.

Luckily, FSU is home to a very walkable campus that can be navigated around very easily! If you’re struggling with how to get around on a day-to-day basis, here are some tips from your local car-less student.

Invest in an Electric Scooter or Skateboard

If you’ve ever been to FSU during a typical school day, you’d know the overwhelming presence of electric scooters, skateboards, and bikes around campus that students use to get around. These vehicles are especially crucial for students who live off-campus and would rather get to campus in under 10 minutes rather than a 20-minute hike (no judgment if you prefer the hike!).

Investing in an electric scooter has been one of the best decisions I’ve made. I use it every day to get around campus from my off-campus apartment. It’s very convenient to park it in any of the bike racks, and I only have to charge it about once a week!

Walk it Out! 

The most popular and easiest option to get around is to walk! FSU’s campus is very pedestrian-friendly, with pathways such as Legacy Walk and a ton of sidewalks. This option is most likely the best for freshmen since most of them live on campus.

During my freshman year, I didn’t even think about needing any other vehicle because it was so convenient to walk where I needed to. Even though some of the dorms can be a bit out of the way from the big things on campus, the walk is never more than 10 or 15 minutes in my experience. The hills in Tallahassee are no joke, but I got used to them very quickly and they’re a good way to get your exercise in. One of my favorite things to do is put on some music and go for a walk around campus in the evening when it’s less busy just to take in the scenery and familiarize myself with places that I wouldn’t go otherwise.

Check Out the Bus System

Another great asset we have access to at FSU is a campus bus system! There are multiple different bus lines around the city, but the main ones that run on campus are the Renegade, Garnet, and Heritage lines.

To find out how to catch a bus, there are a couple of different options. Apple or Google Maps can tell you where the nearest bus is to you if you map out where you need to go and click on the Transit Stations option. A bit more reliable option is to download the TransLoc app from the App Store, which can show you the location of the bus in real-time and how far it is away from your stop. The app is a bit more complicated because it shows all the routes running around Tallahassee, but if you focus on the main three, you’re good to go!

Even though I may have thought this way before, not having a car on campus is not the end of the world! There are plenty of other free and reliable ways to get from place to place without having to spend any money on gas. You can feel the breeze by riding around on a scooter, take a relaxing bus ride, or even just go for a hot girl walk!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Holly is currently a Media/Communication Studies major at Florida State University, planning to minor in English. She enjoys making Spotify playlists, hanging out with friends, and writing!