The Ultimate Chicago-Inspired Playlist for People Binge-Watching ‘The Bear’

With 10 Emmys, four Golden Globes, and a mass media following, FX’s The Bear has become a cultural phenomenon. Whether it’s the cooking, the found family, or the slow-burn “SydCarmy” ship, there’s something for everyone in this show. If you’re like me, after seeing its absolute sweep this award show season, you’ve been binge-watching it like crazy.

One key character that’s captured my attention in this show is Chicago. That’s right: the big, beautiful, windy city that is the backdrop of The Bear.

So, if you’ve been finding yourself daydreaming about a little weekend trip to try an authentic Chicago Beef, take a stroll through Wrigley Field, or even just ride the ‘L,’ here’s the playlist for you.

“Chicago” by Sufjan Stevens

Starting us off strong is “Chicago” by Sufjan Stevens. Now, I’m no stranger to this song. It’s been on my travel playlist for years. The chorus gives me the feeling of taking off on a plane: excitement and nerves combined into one. Is there a better song to kick off this metaphorical trip?

“Pulaski” by Andrew Bird

Another song that channels the same feeling as Sufjan Stevens’ song is “Pulaski”. Like many of the artists on this list, Andrew Bird is from Chicago and fondly calls it the “city of light” within this song.

Whenever I listen to this song, I feel like I can just imagine myself walking through the city and admiring the buzz and hum of everything around me. If “Chicago” was our takeoff song, “Pulaski” would be the song that would be playing when we grabbed our bags and left the airport, ready to see the sights.

“My Kind of Town” by Frank Sinatra

Picking up the energy, we have Frank Sinatra crooning about his love for the city of Chicago in this number. I don’t know about you, but this song leaves me wanting to tap dance my little heart out. It’s fun, it’s upbeat, and like the other songs, leaves you feeling that Sinatra has the same thoughts about Chicago as we do.

On our great playlist of touring Chicago, I’d say this would be playing while touring all the spots. Sinatra even references some of the must-see places, such as the Union Stockyard and the Wrigley Building.

“Chelsea Dagger” by The Fratellis

Picture this: It’s June 2013, and you just got home from summer camp. You’re taking out your Nintendo DS when your dad starts screaming at the top of his lungs. When I say screaming, I mean whooping and yelling so loud the neighbors might be nervous. The Chicago Blackhawks just won the 2013 Stanley Cup Final against the Boston Bruins and your Franklin Park, Illinois-born dad is over the moon. Your mom is too, and she’ll end up making this song her ringtone for months.

Now, if you haven’t had that experience, let me enlighten you about the very song that I had to listen to for hours on end. “Chelsea Dagger” is the goal song for the Chicago Blackhawks, playing every time one of their players scores against the opposing team. The team has been doing it since 2008 and intends to continue this fun tradition. Let me tell you, it never, ever gets old. Play it to get hyped up, play it when you’re having a bad day, or play it when you score your own goal.

If this song were to transport us to place on our pretend trip, it would have to be right at the United Center, where the Chicago Blackhawks play their games.

“City in a Garden” by Fall Out Boy

The beloved band Fall Out Boy has had many hits, including many that you will find yourself singing at Emo Night Karaoke, but this one has to take the cake. For a perfect tribute to the city they call home, the band pays quite an homage. At certain points, they even sing out, “I love you, Chicago.” While you may not be from the city, you’ll be loving it like your own hometown with this song.

If I were to place this song on our trip playlist, it would be at the end. A little bit of melancholy as we’re ready to depart, but one last exclamation of love for the place. Almost like a last hurrah before having to go to the airport.

If I haven’t convinced you to take a trip to the Windy City by now, I at least hope I’ve transported you there through this playlist!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, and Pinterest!

Sabrina is student at Florida State University studying media and communications with a minor in english. She enjoys reading, writing, and spending time outdoors.