“You’re here! Oh, I’m so happy you can join us! My name is Minnie Mouse,” is something that rang through most houses every day. Everyone’s favorite mouse is known for her classic red and white polka-dot dress and bow, seen in tons of movies and TV shows. On Jan. 25, Disney announced that Minnie is donning a new and temporary look to celebrate Disneyland Paris’ 30th Anniversary. 

The dark blue pantsuit is designed by Stella McCartney, fashion designer and daughter of music legend Paul McCartney. She spoke to D23, the official Disney fan club page, stating her delight in working on Minnie’s first pantsuit, saying, “I wanted Minnie to wear her very first pantsuit at Disneyland Paris, so I have designed one of my iconic costumes—a blue tuxedo—using responsibly sourced fabrics. This new take on her signature polka dots makes Minnie Mouse a symbol of progress for a new generation. She will wear it in honor of Women’s History Month in March 2022. I can’t wait for you to see this new look at Walt Disney Studios Park!” While Walt Disney has expressed that this change is temporary, it has been met with mixed reactions from Disney fans. 

Many have gone to social media to express their opinions about Minnie’s new look with one of the more notable negative reactions being from the author, and political commentator Candace Owens. In an interview with Jesse Watters on his show Jesse Watters Prime Time, Candace Owens speaks against this temporary change with Minnie’s outfit change, stating, “This is why people don’t take these people seriously, they are taking all of these things, that nobody was offended by and feel they have to get rid of them and destroy them. Because they are bored, they are absolutely bored, they are trying to destroy the fabrics of our society pretending that there’s issues. This is so everybody looks over here, look at Minnie Mouse, don’t look at inflation, Jesse. Look at Minnie Mouse, the world is going forward because we have got her in a pantsuit.” Some, however, have expressed their excitement about Minnie’s outfit change including actor Jared Padalecki, who is best known for his role as Dean on Gilmore Girls and Sam in Supernatural, taking to his Twitter to show support. 

Also, country singer Maren Morris has taken to Instagram to offer her support for Minnie’s new look with a picture of her styled in a dark green pantsuit with the caption, “let Minnie Mouse wear a damn pantsuit.” 

People have pointed out that this would not be Minnie’s first time donning a new look, with the topic sparking enough buzz to make “Minnie Mouse” trend on Twitter on Jan. 27. Some of these include pictures of her over the years in multiple television episodes and movies, including a promotional special for a Disney Cruise Line where she wears a captain outfit.

Mickey will also join Minnie with his new outfit for the anniversary which will include blue pants, a white vest, a purple coat and a lavender bow tie.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Hi!! My name is Lauren Mayo and I am a Junior at Florida State University!! Go noles! I am majoring in Social Sciences and Media Communication Studies on the Pre-Law track