Why Gen Z Is Freaking Out Over Miley Cyrus’ “Flowers”

A fan-favorite Hollywood star has made her mark once again, and 2023 has only just begun! Singer-songwriter and actress Miley Cyrus recently released her record-breaking single, “Flowers,” on Jan. 12. Her fans from around the world are currently having a blast listening to it. The song precedes her upcoming album, Endless Summer Vacation, which will be released in March of this year.

Along with listening to “Flowers,” Gen Z has been deciphering it. They have unhatched various easter eggs that they suspect are in both the song and its respective music video, which was also released on Jan. 12. It is believed that the song, which is centered around a breakup, is connected to Cyrus’ ex-husband, Liam Hemsworth. Currently, Cyrus has not publicly addressed any potential hidden meanings in “Flowers.” However, this has not stopped the endless rabbit hole of theories.

What is believed to be confirmation that “Flowers” is connected to Hemsworth is the first verse lyric, “built a home and watched it burn.” Many believe that it may be a reference to Cyrus and Hemsworth’s home in Malibu that burned down during the Woolsey fires in 2018. What is also believed to confirm the song’s connection to Hemsworth is the fact that the song and the music video were released on his 33rd birthday. While Hemsworth’s birthday is on Jan. 13, “Flowers” was released when it was Jan. 12 in the United States and thus Jan. 13 in Hemsworth’s birthplace, Australia.

There is a specific theory regarding “Flowers” that is shocking to a lot of listeners. It is that Hemsworth dedicated the song “When I Was Your Man” by Bruno Mars to Cyrus during their relationship, causing her to put a spin on it in the chorus of “Flowers.” While Mars sings “I should’ve bought you flowers and held your hand”, Cyrus sings “I can buy myself flowers” and “I can hold my own hand.” This theory has been spread throughout different social media platforms, but especially on TikTok.

In terms of the music video for Cyrus’ new smash hit, theories have also emerged. Social media users have claimed that the house used in the video is where Hemsworth allegedly cheated on Cyrus. It has also been said that the suit worn by Cyrus toward the end of the video was worn by Hemsworth himself when they were on the red carpet together for a premiere. Many fans are convinced that he told Cyrus to behave herself in a viral video of them during that premiere.

@kveseelinovic

as she should đŸ«¶đŸŒđŸ˜š #mileycyrus #flowers

♬ Flowers – Miley Cyrus

Cyrus’ release of “Flowers” has provoked Gen-Z to dive deeper into the relationship she had with Liam Hemsworth. The various theories have recently been dominating social media platforms, boosting the song’s popularity. Last week, it was announced that the song had become Spotify’s “most-streamed song in a seven-day period.” Reaching 100 million streams on the platform very quickly, it surpassed BTS’ “Butter,” which was holding the record title before.

It is hard to tell whether Miley Cyrus will publicly address the possible easter eggs behind “Flowers,” but that has not stopped Gen Z from searching for ways to uncover the truth about her and Liam Hemsworth. Beyond this, however, the song is currently ruling the charts and the internet, proving that Cyrus’ self-love anthem has the world in the palm of its hand.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Olivia Dumornay is a Senior at Florida State University majoring in Media & Communication Studies and minoring in Sociology. She is currently an Associate Editor for Her Campus at FSU, where she oversees a group of staff writers, edits their submitted articles on a weekly schedule prior to publishing, and more. You can find Olivia rambling about K-Pop and other favorite music artists of hers, films, makeup and fashion, and more. She spends her free time dancing, re-watching her "comfort" TV shows, and going out with friends and family.