Kristen Bryant-Urban Outfitters Inspired Overalls Sports Bra Crop Top Lala Girls 2
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

How to Create 90s Outfits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GCU chapter.

I am in love with boring clothes because they have so much potential. With the help of some creative choices, you can emerge from your closet looking like you just hopped out of the 90s. Here are five ways to turn boring clothes upside down, as inspired by the fashion of the 90s.  

Monochromatic looks

I’m personally not trying to look like the late Queen Elizabeth with my monochromatic looks (but don’t get me wrong, she slayed in any outfit). I’m thinking more like pairing a black turtleneck and skirt together, or two lavender pieces like Salma Hayek at the 1999 Cannes Film Festival. If you’re daring and have tidy table manners, maybe even a white-on-white outfit with a tank top and pants.

Textured Fabrics

This includes pieces like fuzzy cardigans or mesh tops. During colder days, it may be scarves or mittens. This adds visual interest to the piece, and it doesn’t have to be overdone (you don’t need a full-length faux fur coat unless that’s your thing). From what I have seen, the 90s had a lot of sheer and silk dresses. These types of fabrics hang oddly on me, as I am more rectangular in shape. To try and make it seem more put together, I cinch fabric together at the waist. For example, when wearing a slip dress, I would prefer one with ribbon ties on the back for a form-fitting look. Either way, it channels the 90s look.

Sparkles

I think sparkles make any outfit 10,000% better. It doesn’t have to be too much, just enough to be interesting. This may be on clothing, like glittery dresses or shoes, or can be in the form of jewelry, like statement pieces. I always opt for drop earrings or a simple sparkly stud. If you’re not into glitter or don’t know where to start, I recommend putting on some glitter eyeshadow. This will help you visualize your look with a smidge of shine.

High-Rise Denim

Looking at the fashion trends of the 90s, I have observed a lot of denim and casual looks. Almost all of the jeans from this era are high-rise. For short people like me, this can become uncomfortable. I have to try on jeans in-store because it usually looks like I am drowning in denim and feels as if they are choking my ribcage. For other petite girls, I recommend these jeans from Everlane because they offer various lengths and a wide range of sizes. If high-rise denim just is not your thing, I’ve seen a lot of denim overalls in 90s shows like Friends and Dawson’s Creek. I like going for that small-town-girl-by-the-seaside kind of look, so I pair my overalls with a tote bag, tank top, and pigtail braids.

Shoes

The most popular types of shoes in the 90s include simple black heels and calf-length leather boots. I also saw a lot of glittery heels; a bit more toned-down than 2000s Y2K shoes. For more casual looks, I always think of New Balance or Adidas sneakers.

When in doubt about how to create a 90s look, always go simple. The 90s was full of classy and simplistic styles complete with small details to add interest.

Emily is a Professional Writing major at GCU. She is expected to graduate with her bachelor's degree in Spring 2024. She loves writing about the environment, history and self-care. Her interests include anything with glitter, playing video games, slamming out tunes on the piano and lying down on grass in the summer.