Small Businesses that Attended NYCC 2023 Everyone Should Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

This year, New York Comic Con came to the Javits Center from October 12-15.

The con floor is always full of amazing small businesses. Here are of the highlights from the shops that were running on Sunday, October 15!

NOTE: This is NOT a sponsored article, just an appreciation for small businesses!

Whirl and Twirl

One of the most unique booths on the floor was Whirl and Twirl. This brand makes beautiful, ornate headbands designed to fit your head comfortably and not cause headaches. They were also selling crowns with the same comfortable fit.

Unfortunately, the business doesn’t appear to be very active on its social media and doesn’t have an online store. The company’s Instagram and X handles are both @awhirlandatwirl.

Rocklove Jewelry

RockLove might just be the perfect place to get gifts for the nerdy jewelry lover in your life! From Star Wars to Studio Ghibli, RockLove makes beautiful jewelry to pay tribute to some of the most beloved fandoms. All of their pieces are exclusively licensed, use precious metals and are designed in New York. You can find them on Facebook, Instagram, X, and TikTok @RockLoveJewelry, and on their website.

GinGee Girls Art

Another incredibly unique business was GinGee Girls Art. Specializing in sand-blasted drinkware, there was a design for almost anyone on display! Traditional mugs in red, blue and green, shot glasses, beer steins and glasses were displayed with icons from games and movies alike. Animal Crossing, Star Wars, Game of Thrones, and so many other fandoms had at least one design on each type of glass. By Sunday, the brand’s supplies were low, but even then, the variety was incredible. The best way to contact the brand for orders is through the email address, gingeegirls@gmail.com. To see some of their work, you can check out their Facebook!

Tasty Peach

With the tagline “making hard times a little softer,” how could you not fall in love with Tasty Peach? Plus, their products come in every shape and size imaginable! With plushies, paper goods and tons of fashion items, Tasty Peach has something for anyone who loves cute things. The artist and brand owner, Riss, is also a Twitch streamer. Links to her stream and the Tasty Peach site can be found in her X bio, @TastyPeach_INC. With the holidays approaching, Tasty Peach could be an awesome place to buy some gifts!

Yoshi Yoshitani Illustration and apparel

While Yoshitani’s most eye-catching items at NYCC were the embroidered apparel, that’s far from the only thing the brand offers. The brand’s portfolio shows the numerous designs and prints they offer in products like tarot cards, pins and hats. While much of the artwork features original designs and characters, fandoms such as DC can also be found in its collections. For lovers of tarot decks and streetwear, check Yoshitanti out on X for links to the brand’s website and further information on the artist.

That guy with the coasters

“The coasters with the mostā€¦ers.” Based on the name alone, you can probably tell exactly what this business is about, but it doesn’t do their products justice! Roman Smerglia, the “guy” the brand is named after, makes all of his coasters by hand, aside from the cutting of materials and gets a little assistance from a vinyl printer. This is another great place to find gifts for the nerdier people in your life. The brand itself doesn’t have social media, but everything you could want to know about it can be found on its website.

seventh.ink

Something that makes Seventh.Ink stand out is that Matthew Johnson, owner of the brand, identifies the company as a “one-man brand.” The best way to describe the designs from this brand? “Year-round Halloween.” Their super-spooky designs can be worn on shirts, hats, pins, stickers and even leggings. The brand website posts updates on the biggest additions or changes coming to the company. On X, you can find the company @7thInk, and @seventh.ink on Instagram, which recently has been their more active page.

Halloween isn’t the only holiday Seventh.Ink covers. For a creepy take on Christmas, check out the Christmas topic on their site!

SHOURIMAJO

Shourimajo is a brand whose designs have all been made by M. Victoria Robado, an Argentinian artist. Blankets, pins, art prints, and shirts were some of the products that were being displayed at this booth. As of writing this, the brand’s website is on a break since they have just attended Comic Con. Even with this temporary closure, you can check out some of Robado’s work on X and Instagram @shourimajo! This Instagram page will also post updates on the online shop’s reopening.

Robado is also currently trying to secure funding for a new plush, Bubble Kittea! Here’s the link to back the project if you’re interested.

bibisama

Streetwear meets an anime art style at Bibisama! Specializing in tees and outerwear, each product is ensured to be of the highest quality. Their products are a bit more pricey than some things on this list, but the quality makes them well worth the cost. The tees the brand had laid out at their booth were soft without feeling too thin and thick without feeling heavy. The best way to stay updated with Bibisama is through their website or Instagram @bibisamaapparel.

ohmonah

With such a distinctive art style, how could Ohmonah not stand out? The adorable take on “bad” or “childish” art makes this brand incredibly endearing. Fish-shaped bags, yarn and memory foam rugs adorned with bunnies and even shirts sharing the details of your bowel movements, everything at Ohmonah is expressive and unique. Their website functions both as a shop as well as a guide on taking care of their products. Both the bussiness’ X and Instagram accounts, @ohmonah, are very active and add to the personality of the brand.

flannel panels

One of the most unassuming booths at NYCC belonged to Flannel Panels. Also belonging to Flannel Panels are some of the most creative and unique tops on the market. In sizes up to 4XL, each flannel has a large panel in the center of the shirt where the original material has been removed and replaced with a piece of fabric with imagery from many different anime and childhood favorites. While flannels are their primary product, they also have a few t-shirts and jeans on their site. Due to the upcycling nature of this business, designs are limited and one-of-a-kind. To see people rocking their designs and updates to the brand, you can follow their Facebook and Instagram accounts @flannelpanels.

plantcycled

For everyone who loves having plants but can’t seem to keep them alive, Plantcycled is your way to decorate with foliage without the maintenance! This brand’s main focus is on Pokemon terrariums within Pokeballs, but there are also teacup terrariums that include characters from all sorts of media. Plantcycled will be doing a restock on October 21, so make sure to check them out before they sell out! You can also head over to their Facebook, Plantcycled, to see more of their offerings.

Nerdy Novelty design

Calling all chefs, Nerdy Novelty may have the perfect addition to your kitchen! On top of having designs that cover tons of different interests, all of Sonia’s oven mitts are handmade! Kitchenware is the shop’s main focus, but the Nerdy Novelty Etsy page also has wallets, steering wheel covers and a few aprons. Aside from Etsy, Sonia shares her creations on Instagram and Facebook @NerdyNoveltyDesign.

pop couture Clips

Last but absolutely not least on this list is Pop Couture Clips! This brand’s standout products are its gamer-certified claw clips. Two-toned Nintendo Switch Joycon and a traditional controller are the perfect hair accessories for gamers who love looking their best. The brand’s website also sells beanies and hats with its logo on them. As a bonus, the girl who was running this booth was super nice to talk to! You can follow this majorly underrated business on Instagram @popcoutureclips.

These 14 small businesses are just a handful of what 2023’s New York Comic Con had to offer! Shopping small is an amazing decision we can all make as consumers; if one of these brands piqued your interest, give them a try! Or if you’re not in the purchase-making market right now, share them with a friend who may be interested! Maybe even attend NYCC 2024 to discover small brands for yourself!

Brianna is a senior at Hofstra University with majors in public relations and mass media studies and a minor in women's studies. She is interested in media phenomena and pop culture.