Pioneering Paths: Women’s History and the Power of Representation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Howard chapter.

As we immerse ourselves in Women’s History Month, it is highly important to acknowledge and honor the invaluable contributions of women who have molded history and paved the path for future generations. Equally significant is the recognition of women who have left a profound impact on the world, particularly within their communities.

On March 12, 1987, Women’s History Month was established in the United States to recognize and celebrate the often neglected contributions and accomplishments of women throughout history. March was selected as the month for this observance to align with International Women’s Day, celebrated annually on March 8th, which originated from the early 20th-century labor movement advocating for women’s rights. 

This month-long celebration serves as a reminder of the strides made in promoting gender equality and underscores the ongoing efforts needed to ensure that women’s voices and experiences are respected and acknowledged. 

There have been countless women, especially those of color, who have laid the groundwork for others to follow. Among these exceptional individuals are Pat Lawson Muse, Phylicia Rashad, and Zora Neale Hurston, whose influence transcends generations and continues to ignite inspiration. 

Each of these women, in her own distinctive manner, has shattered barriers, defied societal norms, and etched an enduring legacy in history.

Pat Lawson Muse, a renowned journalist and news anchor, has spent decades reporting on critical issues affecting the African American community. Her dedication to truth and justice in journalism has made her a respected figure in the field, particularly as a black woman breaking into a predominantly white industry.

One pivotal moment in her career was when she transitioned from being a general assignment reporter to becoming the host of “Viewpoint,” a public affairs program that delves into important issues affecting the community. This shift allowed Lawson to focus on in-depth reporting and analysis, showcasing her ability to engage with complex topics and provide valuable insights to viewers. 

Pat Lawson Muse’s commitment to accurate and inclusive reporting has made her a beacon of representation for aspiring journalists of color and inspired many to not always follow the “norm,” be a pillar within their community and stand up for what they truly believe in despite all odds.

Phylicia Rashad, a celebrated actress and director, has defied stereotypes and reshaped the portrayal of Black women in Hollywood. Through her depiction of intricate and diverse characters, she has not only entertained audiences but also challenged societal norms. While Rashad is best known for her role as Clair Huxtable on “The Cosby Show,” her influence extends beyond acting. 

She has shared her expertise and mentored others, leading to her appointment as the first female Dean of the College of Fine Arts at Howard University. Rashad’s impact in the entertainment industry serves as a beacon of empowerment and inspiration for Black women striving for visibility and representation in a predominantly white industry.

Zora Neale Hurston, a trailblazing writer and anthropologist, is renowned for her significant contributions to African American literature and culture. Emerging as a prominent figure during the Harlem Renaissance, a vibrant cultural movement of the 1920s and 1930s celebrating African American art, music, and literature, Hurston’s impact was profound. 

Her novel “Their Eyes Were Watching God” stands as a seminal work in African American literature, renowned for its exploration of the black experience. Hurston’s literary prowess captured the essence of black life in the early 20th century, portraying its richness and diversity. A pivotal moment in her career arose when she delved into anthropological research, particularly focusing on African American folklore and cultural practices. 

This shift allowed her to merge her talents as a writer with her passion for anthropology, resulting in the publication of several groundbreaking works preserving African American culture and traditions. Hurston’s legacy continues to inspire pride and validation among black women writers, emphasizing the importance of storytelling and representation in literature.

These three women exemplify a collective spirit of resilience, determination, and steadfast commitment to excellence. Despite encountering various challenges and societal obstacles, they have each surpassed expectations and paved the way for future generations of women, especially women of color, demonstrating that they too can occupy spaces once deemed inaccessible to them. 

Their narratives stand as poignant reminders of the importance of representation and the critical necessity to elevate diverse voices in all spheres of society.

As we commemorate Women’s History Month, let’s pay tribute to the remarkable legacies of Pat Lawson Muse, Phylicia Rashad, and Zora Neale Hurston. Their journeys inspire us with their resilience, determination, and tireless efforts to overcome obstacles and foster inclusivity. 

Their narratives serve as a poignant reminder that women’s history isn’t confined to the past; it resonates deeply in the present and shapes the future. Each of us has the power to make a meaningful impact, just as they have, in our own distinctive way. Let’s celebrate their contributions and continue to champion equality and empowerment for all women.

Hello beautiful people! I am Kiyona Turner, a sophomore broadcast journalism major from Connecticut! My role with Her Campus at Howard chapter is working with the events team to create and organize events that embody everything HC stands for. My job would consist of preparing event proposals, curating memorable functions for whichever theme our team decides to base it on and confidently bring new and exciting ideas, information and goodies to our campus here at Howard University. I will also write articles based on stories received and given to me, which will only allow the audience to see more examples of my journalistic expertise and desire for reporting and developing stories. In addition to Her Campus, I am also a host for UGSA at Howard University where I am required to be the ignition to the fire essentially, getting the crowd engaged while also gravitating attentiveness so that the event in question will run smoothly and everyone has a good time in the process. I am also an intern with Spotlight Network at Howard University. Spotlight is a TV and Media organization on campus that helps individuals in the world of communications and journalism gain exposure in the media room, learning how to work behind the camera, reporting, scowling for stories and so much more! With the help of Her Campus I hope to be a role model and an outlet of opportunity and support for those looking for it! I’m a girls girl, but overall I am for the people and a goal and inspiration of mine is to help as many people as I can, whether that be people interested in the same career field as mine to people who are just less fortunate looking for routes of success for themselves! I aim to use the work I do with HC and the other organizations I’m in to get that work started to provide that light in the dark tunnel. In my free time I absolutely love napping, writing and interacting with people whether that be a new or old connection. I will always be that bubbly, sweet and outgoing girl and you guys could expect nothing less. You guys can always depend on my persistence and my yearn for teamwork and teambuilding. Afterall as the girls say “In the cut with my twin we be vibing!”.