This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

As a college student I live by my calendar. I have definitely had issues where my calendar runs my life and I fall victim to whatever is happening in my Google cal. I know this may seem a little funny because I can always delete something from the calendar, but there is sort of a promise that you are breaking when you miss something off of your calendar. In this article I will just include how I personally set up my calendar to improve my life, not dictate it!

Screenshot of Aubrees Google Calendar
Photo by Aubree Chavez / Google Calendar

Now that you’ve seen my calendar and what it looks like on a typical week you may be wondering how I got my colors. Before we talk about the more serious stuff like how much should you put on your calendar I want to talk about the aesthetic of your google calendar. If you’re going to be looking at this everyday you are going to definitely want it to be something eye pleasing. I set up my classes as individual calendars, each class gets a calendar and also every sub category gets its own calendar. EVERYTHING GETS ITS OWN CALENDAR. This is because you can change the color of individual calendars. Finding a color palette is very easy, all you need to do is search color palette hex codes or get on a color palette generator and put those hex codes into your Google calendar! I have had several Google calendar palettes and always change it per semester.

Now let’s talk about what is being scheduled. I include my classes, study time, workouts, extracurriculars, and plans. Not everything gets onto my calendar, but I include most things soley so I don’t forget what I have said I would go to. I don’t put on my get ready time or my evening routine because life doesn’t always go as planned, no matter how much we want it to. I like putting all these things on my calendar because it reminds me every morning what I get to look forward to!

So yes, that’s how and why I use my Google calendar and how you can use yours! Don’t let it be a stressful experience, let your calendar work for you! Not the other way around. Happy planning!

Hello everyone! My name is Aubree Chavez and I am a third-year student studying English with a minor in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. In my free time I enjoy writing, reading, and uploading videos on my youtube channel.