Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

Why “Gilmore Girls” Is a Fall Show

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

The first leaves start changing color, the atmosphere starts getting that classic chill, and suddenly we all get a desire for one thing and one thing only: “Gilmore Girls.” “Gilmore Girls” is undoubtedly a fall show. Although the seven-season series has episodes during the winter, spring, summer and fall, there is something distinct about the fall episodes that make viewers associate “Gilmore Girls” with the season. It all comes down to the Gilmores’ obsession with coffee, the increasingly cozy feel that Stars Hollow acquires during fall, the amazingly stylish fall outfits they wear, and the fact that fall often means the anticipation of something great for the Gilmores.

Personally, I watch “Gilmore Girls” every year around fall time. For someone who has seasonal depression, it is a comfort show that allows me to be excited about a lack of sunlight and the unbearable cold. I would probably call myself an expert on the show so I know that there is one thing the Gilmore girls are known for: their coffee addiction. Lorelai’s first words in the show are a desperate pleading for a cup of coffee from Luke, when Rory enters Luke’s Diner, it is the first thing that Lorelai offers Rory, and in season 2 when Richard spends a whole day with Emily, one of the many mundane things that he takes note of is the fact that Emily has three cups of coffee in the morning every day. A warm cup of coffee during Fall sends a tender fire throughout one’s body and is one of the things that people most look forward to once summer bids its goodbyes. When seeing the Gilmore girls sip a cup of coffee, you are instantly transported into their world, a world where a cup of coffee can calm any distress and bring warmth on even the coldest of fall days. The association between the Gilmore girls and coffee is undeniable, and this inherently associates them with the Fall season. Even Richard, who may not be recognized for his obsession with coffee, is still associated with fall since he scores as “an Autumn” when taking a quiz to determine whether he is a “summer” or a “fall” during Rory’s birthday party.

The first episode of “Gilmore Girls” takes place during the fall. Rory has been in her sophomore year for a couple of weeks and during the whole episode, the whiff of fall is prevalent. Rory enters with her apple red lips and frosty babydoll face, saying “It’s freezing out there,” letting us into her autumn wonderland. While Lane and Rory walk around town the trees are sprinkled with a few brown leaves and the fall breeze roams throughout the scene. Cheerleaders walk around in varsity jackets and sweaters characteristically worn during the fall in preparation for homecoming parades and Stars Hollow, in typical small-town fashion, hosts activities like hay rides. Many of the big events that Stars Hollow hosts are associated with fall: the pilgrim pageant, Rory’s birthday, the town Danceathon, and the Festival of Living Art are some of the few events that happen during fall, and although Stars Hollow does host events year-round the fall events are some of the most memorable. 

“Gilmore Girls” takes place during the fall for 33% of the first season, but even during the episodes where it isn’t technically fall, the show has an autumn vibe that lingers throughout. Considering that the show takes place in Connecticut, gives an insight as to why that is. The cold of north-eastern states makes it hard to abandon the idea that Stars Hollow isn’t a fall paradise since the north-east is known for remaining chilly even during the spring. Recognizing this helps us understand why the Gilmore girls’ wardrobe is full of staple fall pieces: large knitted sweaters, jean and leather jackets sometimes with fur, mini-skirts with tights, long-sleeve tops, combat boots and Lorelai’s classic knee-high boots. Even their clothes are categorized by a fall palette: maroon reds, dusty oranges and coffee (how fitting!) browns. When picturing Rory and Lorelai, the picture that comes to mind is them in their fall clothes. The light-weight yet still warm and fashionable outfits that Rory and Lorelai wear are indicative of fall, whether it’s actually supposed to be fall during the show or not, accustoming viewers to the idea that it’s always autumn in Stars Hollow. 

Fall as a season is associated with different symbolic meanings: change, balance, comfort and letting go are some of them. For the Gilmore girls, fall signals the beginning of something new. Some of the most memorable events for the Gilmore girls happen during fall: Rory’s start at Chilton, Rory’s first kiss, the beginning of Rory’s close-knit relationship with her grandparents, Rory getting together with Jess, Rory’s start at Yale, the bulk of the planning to get Lorelai’s inn together all these events signify something for the mother-daughter duo alike. Rory’s start at Chilton and the beginning of Rory’s relationship with her grandparents signify Lorelai having to accept that Rory will be a part of the stuffy, society world that she left. Rory’s first kiss and her relationship with Jess signify the start of new phases in Rory’s life, a life of romance and heartbreak that Rory was unprepared for as a young girl. Rory’s start at Yale and Lorelai building her inn simultaneously means these two are separated from each other for the first time, building their own lives apart from the influence of one another. The relationship and dynamic of the mother-daughter duo evolves throughout, and these momentous events happening during fall emphasizes change. Fall in itself is a period of transition, serving as a medium for change. Since the show revolves around the growing up of both Rory and Lorelai as women it is only fitting that we associate them, and their show, with the fall season.

Gilmore Girls is a comfort show for many people. It’s a show you watch while snuggling in a fuzzy blanket, sipping a warm cup of coffee with scented pumpkin candles burning and a fall breeze blowing outside your window. Gilmore Girls is a fall show, the perfect way to get excited for the start of autumn and new beginnings.

Arien Roman Rojas is a journalism major at the University of Kansas. She enjoys reading, writing, collaging, and hanging out with her friends and family. Outside of Her Campus, she's a part of the UDK, and LASU. She enjoys writing about pop culture, news, and arts and culture.