This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I started my youtube channel when I was sixteen and in the middle of my junior year of high school. I didn’t start for any reason other than that I wanted to document what was going on in my life. I had originally started a YouTube channel when I was 10 and from the ages of 10 to 16 I had started and restarted a YouTube channel several times. With my iPhone and iMovie I went ahead and started posting vlogs. I still currently have the YouTube channel and am so thankful for the past four years I have been able to document.

One reason why I have a youtube channel is the ability to capture moments, regardless of if they are sad or happy, mundane or exciting, and I have the ability to watch them at a later time. I don’t remember everything from when I was sixteen so going back to watch a get ready with me or my state cheer championship reminds me of how I was feeling during that moment along with showing me things that I have already forgotten.

Along with getting to see what I looked like and how I felt in the time, I also was able to document memories for my family and friends. Following the passing of my grandfather I can always go back to a few specfic videos and see how he was before he passed. Although it is a bittersweet thing, I am so thankful that I have some clips of him available to watch at anytime.

Last but not least, because I still currently have a YouTube channel and I am in college, I have been told by several people that my college vlogs helped them decide to come to KU or that they recognize me from my videos. It is always a surreal experience that is both nerve-wracking and exciting!

I would 100% recommend starting a YouTube channel if you are on the fence. It is a video diary that gives you the ability to look back on hundreds of memories (depending on how much you vlog) and get a full insight of what was going on in that time of your life. It is never too late to start, take it from me!

Hello everyone! My name is Aubree Chavez and I am a third-year student studying English with a minor in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. In my free time I enjoy writing, reading, and uploading videos on my youtube channel.