Five Short Books to Beat Your Mid-Semester Reading Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

With clubs, homework, and exams, it can be hard to make time for reading during the semester. I know a lot of students struggle to finish books during the school year, myself included. I read nineteen books between May and August but haven’t finished a single one since the start of the semester.

Below are five short books for the busy student:

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson 

The Sky is Everywhere comes in at 68,864 words—about 275-285 pages, depending on the edition. This novel is a young adult contemporary romance. 

Protagonist Lennie navigates romance and young adulthood while navigating the loss of her sister, Bailey. It has been years since I read this book, but I remember loving Nelson’s writing style and Beatles references. 

A Short History of the Girl Next Door by Jared Reck 

A Short History of the Girl Next Door is complete at 66,991 words (a little over 270 pages). This is another young adult novel with elements of romance. 

The story details Matt Wainwright’s internal battle as he watches his longtime best friend and unrequited love, Tabby, fall for another guy. Matt struggles to adjust to a new chapter of life, so different from the ones he had been used to. Although this is the second-longest book on the list, A Short History of the Girl Next Door is a light read. It also plays off of the stereotypical “girl next door” romance in an untraditional way.

Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon

Although Everything Everything is just over 300 pages, it only consists of 47,592 words. Lots of page space is taken up with email and text sequences and illustrations. The numerous mediums Yoon uses to tell Maddy’s story are charming and engaging for readers. 

Protagonist, Maddy, has severe combined immunodeficiency, meaning she must spend her life quarantined in her home. When she starts to have feelings for the new neighbor, Olly, she must test how far she can stretch her limits. I loved both Yoon’s ability to convey a story concisely and the unconventional elements she included in the storytelling. 

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

The Five People You Meet in Heaven is the shortest novel of the list, complete at just 40,427 words/196 pages. This book was popular years ago and made #1 on the New York Times bestseller’s list. 

The story follows veteran Eddie during his last day of life and journey to heaven. This read highlights the unseen connections between people, and demonstrates how a minor event in someone’s life can drastically change the course of somebody else’s. 

Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein 

Where the Sidewalk Ends is a beloved book, even to readers who usually dislike poetry (myself included). The book is complete at 166 pages and can easily be read in one sitting. 

Silverstein’s poems are short and feel-good—the perfect way to bring some light into a hectic school year.

(Word counts source)

Kara Armstrong

Kutztown '25

Kara is a student at Kutztown University majoring in Professional Writing and minoring in Spanish. She likes thrifting, pickles, and the color yellow.