This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Whether you are fighting the Valentine’s Day blues and need some positive romance influences or looking for an evening movie to round out the night with your partner, listed below are movies that will surely peak anyone’s interest. 

When Harry Met Sally…(1989)

From college enemies after a long shared car ride to long-time friends to lovers, this movie encapsulates a slow-building romance that started from an argument between Harry, played by Billy Crystal, and Sally, played by Meg Ryan, over whether guys and girls can just be friends without romantic feelings involved. After a long period of time, they reconnect and form a friendship to prove guys and girls can just be friends with them often exchanging phone calls and having meet-ups yet also having many miscommunications. The pair slowly realize they are meant for each other and confess feelings for each other on a lonely New Year’s Eve. What I think is special about this movie is how it portrays the idea of Sally being a high-maintenance woman yet Harry is always there for her and takes care of her, I think that makes the pair realistic and personable. 

Notting Hill (1999)

Set in the cutest part of London, Notting Hill is about British bookstore owner, William Thacker played by Hugh Grant, and American actress Anna Scott played by Julia Roberts, and the course of their relationship dealing with the troubles of coming from different worlds.  William is so sweet and patient when it comes to understanding Anna’s spotlight life, but Anna has trouble returning the love and figuring out what she wants, all while being a starlet. After Anna dismisses William and later William dismisses Anna, they realize how wrong they were and eventually end up together. This movie is such a classic watch and the cast of side characters, Williams’s friends and family, provide some good laughs while also helping the couple end up together. 

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003)

Andie Anderson, played by Kate Hudson, is stuck in the box of being an advice writer for a magazine when she wants to explore the more hard-hitting story side of writing. She gets the idea to write about how to make a guy leave you in 10 days. Ben Barry, played by Mattew McConaughey, is an advertising executive who gets challenged by rival co-workers to try and make a girl fall in love with him in 10 days. Little does he know the girl he was dared to ask out is Andie. Throughout the course of the movie, we see how their plans clash against each other with both of them trying to complete their respective goals. Even though Andie tries to display really clingy behavior to unattract Ben, he just keeps coming back. Eventually, the pair starts to lose sight of their goals and actually fall for each other. That is until their plans get revealed to each other and they think each other’s feelings are fake. With a grand act of love,  chasing down Andie’s taxi, Ben wins back her heart. 

Set It Up (2018)

I think this movie is extremely underrated when it comes to rom coms, especially for a modern rom-com. Set It Up is about two overworked and underpaid interns Charlie, played by Glenn Powell, and Harper, played by Zoe Deutch, who are both just trying to work up to their dream jobs. After meeting late after hours at their job, Harper approaches Charlie with the idea of setting up their big wig bosses. They think if they fill their boss’s life with a relationship then they will be less overworked and have more time for themselves—and it works. Throughout the process of getting their bosses together, Charlie and Harper form a friendship that eventually leads them both to develop unspoken feelings for each other, in turn setting each other up with themselves.

Anyone But You (2023)

Speaking of Glenn Powell, his recent role as Ben in Anyone But You, starring next to Sydney Sweeney, felt like the revival of a good rom-com in the modern age.  Roughly based on Shakespeares, Much Ado About Nothing, Anyone But You explores the fake dating trope with Ben and Bea’s family trying to set them up while it’s Bea’s sister and Ben’s friend’s wedding. After Bea and Ben had a mixed good and nasty impression of each other after a first date, their friends and family want to set them up with each other to put them in a good mood for the wedding —aka not ruin it. The pair secretly decides to go along with their relative’s schemes, that way it gets them off their backs. In addition to the fake dating trope, Bea and Ben also become enemies to lovers, ending up with each other in the end. 

In addition to movie recommendations, listed below are some songs to enjoy for some self-love or to listen and dance to with your partner:

Playlist 
  • Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)Edison Lighthouse
  • Everybody Loves SomebodyDean Martin
  • Kiss MeSixpence None the Richer
  • MargaretLana Del Rey 
  • The Only Exception Paramore
  • Somethin StupidFrank Sinatra, Nancy Sinatra
  • I Melt With YouModern English 
  • I Want You to Want MeLetter To Cleo
  • Good Old Fashion Lover BoyQueen
  • Dont Go Breaking My HeartElton John, Kiki Dee 
Maria Pushart

Kutztown '27

Hi! I'm Maria. I'm a public relations major minoring in web development and social media theory & strategy here at Kutztown! Besides HerCampus I also do college radio and I'm a tour guide. I'm a big traveler with a love of cooking, crocheting, and movies & TV.